All fakes are not created equal

Dear Snob,

How can u spot a fake?

Emichiee

Dear Emichiee,

Reproductions of designer bags are everywhere these days. You can go on Canal street and pick up the “birkin” or the “spy bag” for a mere $50, but those are so obviously fake that you’d be chased out of Hermes if you ever took one in there (Louis Vuitton will actually confiscate a fake and try to have you arrested and fined!). Then there are some fakes called “AAA” that look so much like the real thing that the stores have a hard time spotting them. People even sell these fakes on eBay as authentic for thousands of dollars! So how do we spot the fakes? Here are a few pointers:

HEREMES: The blind stamp under the strap is usually the first giveaway. Hermes uses the alphabet in chronological order to date the bags(not too bright cuz how hard is it to figure out that A comes before B?), for example, year 2004 was H and currently we are on year I. The craftsman ID should also be next to the blindstamp. However, we’ve recently spotted fakes with the blindstamps so the next step is to check the zipper on the inside pocket. The leather pull strip should be horiontal to the zipper, which should have Hermes engraved on it. You should also check the glue on the inside corners, does it look sloppy? The borders on the exterior leather is very hard to reproduce, check to see if it’s smooth, the fakes usually have ridges. The keys and lock should have matching numbers and Hermes engraved on them (very easy to reproduce though). The hardware should be made of palladium or 24 carat gold plate, the fakes are made of flimsy steel. Lastly, check the feet on the bottom of the bag, do they look wobbly or screw off easily? Hermes no longer authenticates bags in it’s boutiques so unless you know the person you’re buying the bag from, I’d try to get on the waitlist and wait for the real thing. (More on tips to get on the Hermes waitlist later.)

LOUIS VUITTON: This is probably the single most popular reproduced line of bags. First of all, they are made of plasic (they call it “monogrammed canvas”, whatever!) that is produced in factories in Asia so some of the fakes are made of the canvas from these factories (which makes them “real” fakes right?). It’s really hard to authenticate these bags but this is what we suggest: check the borders on the exterior, does the monogram match up? Next, is the trim real leather (light colored natural cowhide)? There is also a serial number hidden somewhere in the bag, but again, very easy to reproduce. If you like to waste money and want to pay thousands of dollars for bags made of plastic laminated canvas, we recommend you purchase them from Louis Vuitton boutiques or at a major department store.

BALENCIAGA: The le Dix motorcycle bags are everywhere, on the arms of Nicole Ritchie and Lindsay Lohan as well as our cleaning lady. The only way to tell if it’s real is to check the inside of the bag. There should be a zipper that says “Lampo” and a Balenciaga tag with it’s serial number. You’ll have to call Balenciaga and give them that number to see if it’s real or not. But seriously, this bag is so over who cares if it’s real. Just get rid of it or do what we did and give it to your maid.

CHLOE: The Paddington is easier to authenticate as the locks are very heavy (half a pound each), the key and the rest of the hardware should also be heavy, “Chloe” should be engraved on the corners of the hardware. The lock and hardware on the fakes are light and the stitching is not as sturdy. Put it on a scale and if it doesn’t weigh 3.5 pounds, it’s probably not real.

GUCCI: Like Louis Vuitton, the line is very blurred when it comes to Gucci fakes. Look for an ID number somewhere inside the bag or take it to a Gucci boutique to get authenticated.

Best of luck!

Love,

The Snob

79 thoughts on “All fakes are not created equal

1. How to get on an Hermes waitlist?! Please tell!

2. Just wanted to add that for Vuitton pieces the proper format for the date code should be 2 letter followed by a 4 digit number. Many fakes use the catalogue number instead of a date code, which usually only has one starting letter, like M1108472 or something.

3. Hi, do you have any pointers for spotting fake Fendi bags?

Thanks,

4. Also on Louis Vuitton, The Speedy Bag, there will be five stitches on top where the handle is connected to the bag, not six..sure sign of a fake.

Sorry I couldnt come up with a better description.

5. ajai thomas on said:

how can you distinguish between real and fake fendi spy bag?

The best way is to inspect the stitching and the handles. Most of the details on the spy are there. The Bag Snob

6. 2 more ways to spot a Louis Vuitton Fake…

Louis uses their canvas in full sheets so one side or part of your bag should have the monogram upside down. The second way is the serial number. Louis uses a number replacement system. If the serial number is 0949 this means the bag was made in 04/99.So if you see a serial number that say 1245 it is definitely a fake.

7. Gaiska Baez on said:

there are sooo many fake mulberry phoebe and tyler bags on the internet too, often the front pocket isnt round enough and when you spot the real deal dont be fooled i’ve spotted 3 sellers of the phoebe all using the same photo’s that someone has taken at home one seller was from the u.s another from london and the last was from europe, they must have got it from the internet and copied it and these are what the customer will be inspecting to see if it real!

8. Kim Stocker on said:

I have to Gucci bags with numbers

0128 00926

001-3812 2123

Could someone tell me if these are real Gucci bags or knockoffs. Most boutiques I’ve went to do not authenticate Gucci bags.

Please help!!!!

I have to Gucci bags with numbers

0128 00926

001-3812 2123

Please help!!!!

Kim

11. Noelle Pughq on said:

Hi I purchased a silverado Chloe bag, but there is only one small leather horizontal band on each side of each handle, everything else is okay but the color is one I have never seen before, a clay color. Any way to autheniticate a Chloe Silverado?

12. Does the color of the hardware for the Chloe handbag tell you if it is fake or authentic?

13. Maricar on said:

Hi there! You have the best bag collection!

14. hi, does anyone know what authentic serial numbers are supposed too be in all leather fendi spy bags.

15. I was wondering about the chloe paddington. Can anyone tell me if the real chloe paddingtons have a serial number or don’t they?? Is it only the fakes that have serial numbers?? Also if the real ones do have serial numbers are they the same in every bag. I see a few that have the serial numbers 01-06-53??? Pls HELP!!!! Thanks so much!! :o)

16. hi i purchased a “fendi spy bag” i dont have any idea of how the serial numbers are suppose be or how the bag can be detected if its fake or not?

17. Rosanna on said:

I have a Gucci bag serial numbers are 0128 00926 and 001 3812 2123. Can you verify if it’s an original.

Thanks

18. Rosanna- I’ve never seen a Gucci bag with three sets of numbers like your second one there, but I can’t say for sure. I know that all the ones I have are two sets of numbers, with one set being the “style number” of the bag. If it’s a recent purchase you can get it straight of the gucci website or maybe you can call Gucci and even if they won’t authenticate the bag, they should be able to provide you with the correct style number. Now again, I can’t confirm that this is the absolute way to ID a real Gucci, I’m just saying that that is what I have noticed in terms of serial numbers. Can anyone else out there confirm this by looking at their bags??? I’m sure it would be a great help to a lot of people out there…

19. Kathryn Rockwell on said:

What pointers should I use to purchase an authentic Jimmy Choo bag? Thanks ;)

20. RLewis on said:

I was reading up on how to spot a fake LV purse, and when I wrote the customer service dept at the LV website this is how they responded:(Hope this helps out someone)

Dear Ms. Lewis,

We would like to thank you for your visit on our web site and your

interest in Louis Vuitton.

Louis Vuitton does not stamp serial numbers as a means of

identification

or authentication. The only way to guarantee that you are purchasing

authentic merchandise is through a Louis Vuitton boutique, or the web

site http://www.eLuxury.com if you are in the continental United States.

Gifts of unknown origin or purchases made elsewhere can be verbally

authenticated only upon inspection by a trained associate in a Louis

Vuitton boutique.

We are looking forward to your next visit on our web site,

Best regards,

Sarah Astor – LOUIS VUITTON

contact@louisvuitton.com

21. Hi, I was wondering if someone can tell me if the newer Marc Jacobs bags have serial codes or tags in the inner pocket? I have seen some that look real with all the right zippers and linings but with a black tag in it. Also, when a bag is lined in suede, are the inner pockets supposed to be lined in suede as well or can they be lined with canvas? Thank you!

22. Darlene Young on said:

How can I authenticate a Chanel bag? When did Chanel start using hologrammed serial numbers in their bags? Thanks!

23. Hello

I just purchased a Roxanne Mulberry bag from eBay. How do I know it’s authentic?

24. In reference to the Fendi Spy question, I know that the real ones have a glassy plate covering the Tortuga handle opening (yes, the handle opens to reveal a tiny hidden compartment). The compartment cover has a Fendi stamp on a metal plate and that plate is covered by a glassy substance (maybe plastic). The fake Fendi Spy bags have a simple metal cover. Of course, this compartment is invisible because it is underneath the leather loop covering the handle so no one would be able to tell a phony without close inspection.

25. Chloe Edith bag,

how can I tell if this is real?Where is the serial #? Its not easy, since there are no locks like on the paddington–help;cant find anything and all the stitching looks just like Chloe pics.Thanks!

26. how can u tell if u have a fake chanel bag?

27. I was just wondering if the denim Louis Vuitton bags were real

Thanks

Tameka

28. victoria stanton on said:

Hello

I recently purchased a Mulberry Large Racing Clipper holdall from ebay – it had been listed as ‘authentic’ and an ‘unwanted gift’ as it was too large. I was concerned about the authenticity as the logo says ‘Mulberry’ beneath it – which is unusual and the lining is tartan rather than the tree lining. The ‘leather’ used as handles and trim is quite firm and I am not sure whether it is real and also the detachable shoulder strap has no markings on it. Otherwise all the zips etc seem to be good quality brass and have the mulberry logo on them. There is also a tag with the serial number on. Any thoughts? If it turns out that I have bought a fake I will report the seller and purchase one from the Bond Street store anyway!

Many thanks

Victoria

29. I just got a Chanel with all the tags and even the bag to put the bag in when not in use and all the “papers” came with it… I need to know how to tell if this thing is fake or not… can ne one help thanks

Maurie, the only way to tell if it is real is to buy it from the Chanel boutique or an authorized retailer such as Neiman Marcus or Saks.

Best,

The Bag Snob

30. Hi,

I just recently bought a Mulberry Antony bag from Ebay, it looks pretty genuine… The inner bronze token has a serial number on it 115383, is this right? As I was looking at an advert for another Mulberry bag where they mentioned not having a serial number!

Thanks in advance

Sarah

31. What’s your take on a bag with GUCCI engraving on the front but have no serial numbers or logo inside?

32. Personaly I would never buy a Handbag from eBay, If you take time to inspect the pictures, most are fakes or they are taken from an official site page! Hence they are fakes.

Maddi

33. Okay so i was looking on redtagparty.com, are there bags real or fake?

34. redtagparty.com sent me a fake…..its a BIG risk I wouldn’t take!

35. Sheryl Tollenaar on said:

I have recently purchased a gucci belt from designersimports.com and it is fake. I compared it to the real one I have in black, and the brown one (fake) is really close, however is not stamped in the inside of the belt Gucci, with the size. Also the chrome GG buckle is a little less polished and perfect. I realize I am talking about a belt, but they sell handbags too and I hate it when people try to sell fake stuff as authentic. So I would be very careful when dealing with them, as I made it clear that I would only accept real merchandise.

36. Can anyone tell me how to spot a fake miu miu coffer bag?

X/Mette

37. LAROLYN HAYES on said:

CAN YOU TELL ME HOW ARE YOU ABLE TO TELL IF OACH BAG IS A FAKE? MRS. DODD

38. Please can someone tell me how to spot a fake Mulberry Elgin? The care card i have with mine has loads of spelling mistakes, Does anyone else have a darwin care card that they could check for me?

39. Hi im wondering how i can tell if the jimmy choo mahala bag i bought on ebay is real?

40. How can I tell that a Mulberry Elgin bag isn´t fake?

What do I look for?

41. Hi, I was wondering if someone can tell me if the newer Marc Jacobs bags have serial codes or tags in the inner pocket? I have seen some that look real with all the right zippers and linings but with a black tag in it. Also, when a bag is lined in suede, are the inner pockets supposed to be lined in suede as well or can they be lined with canvas? Thank you!

42. Unknown on said:

On chanel bags the fabric always lines up at the stiching..( the fabric should make a diamond )

thats the easiest way to spot the fake

43. suriyah kanu on said:

For Chanel:

Ensure the hologram sticker number matches the authenticity card.

The hologram sticker would have 2 interlocked CC’s on top, and the words Chanel written on both sides vertically.

The Made in— stamp in never embossed but imprinted.

There are other guidelines but that is what I use to start.

44. Courtney Hutson on said:

I just bought this CHANEL bag at the GOODWILL and was thinking about selling it on EBAY if it’s authentic (and only if it’s authentic). Could someone please help me verify if it is or not. I haven’t found a serial number but I’m not sure if they all have them or not?

45. Melissa on said:

can someome tell me how to spot a fake Jimmy Choo? My husband bought me the Ramona black leather bag on Ebay and it is guaranteed authentic. I started looking at other ones and they are all lined in suede, mine is not. Also, the inside button clasp when undone says “Hong Nike” What is that? It is the little circle snap enclosure on the left hand side of the zipper closure. If anyone can help me please email me. Thankyou!

46. First of all, they are made of plasic (they call it “monogrammed canvas”, whatever!)

It’s not plastic!

47. Marissa on said:

Hi, my boyfriend just purchased a black fendi chef with the zucchino material for me. Do they have serial numbers inside of them? And is their hardware supposed to be gold???

Thanks.

48. seductivegal on said:

hiya..can someone tell me how to identify a fake miu miu coffer bag? thanks!

49. I recently bought a tods bag (I think its a tods bag) at a rummage sale. It was $2, so if is fake I won’t cry or anything, but does anyone know if Tods used to put “made in italy” inside, on the bottom, in small letters inside the circular “tods” logo on the outside. The bag is real leather and looks fine aside from that. Thanks so much!

50. speedee on said:

I don’t understand why everyone is so concerned if their bags are authentic. Gifts or your own purchases, if you like it enough to use it, does it really matter?

51. speedee on said:

Don’t look on E-Bay if you want an authentic bag. All those ‘bargains’ on designer bag websites are most likely replicas, too. Chanel and Louis Vuitton don’t have sales with those kinds of discounts. There are different quality levels of replicas, though. I got some bags from wholesalercn that have amazing quality, and I couldn’t be more pleased. I don’t believe the stories on E-Bay where someone says they’re selling a gift they didn’t like. How many people believe that story? Instead I knew exactly what I was buying, the prices and service were great, and I’ll bet the quality rivals the originals. Stay away from auction sites if you want a designer bag, you can get something better at the site above and not be lied to.

52. sarah m on said:

Hi, I’ve been looking for a mulberry antony bag online and have come accross a company called CQcut who are selling mulberry antony bags as the real thing but are actually fake. If you look at the front of the bag on the bottom right there should be an embossed mulberry logo but there is not. wanted to let people know as i nearly bought it not realising that it is fake.

53. Hi, I started to collect Mulberry items in 1983. Up until now I’ve noticed a control embossed stampl 1-3 letters on the leather label inside bag, but now there’s so many new bags produced in the EEC that doesn’t have this marking or even the serial number on the plate. What do You recon? Has anybody for example bought a bag in a Mulberry store without these markings?

54. Does anyone have any hints or known ways to tell the authenticity of a Furla bag? Is there anything specific to look for besides engraved tags, etc.?

Thanks!

55. Hi. How can you tell if a Tod’s Micky bag is authentic? I just bought one from designerimports.com….now I’m having doubts as to its authenticity. Are these US online sites allowed to sell knock-offs, though?

56. artemis chang on said:

how do I authenticate a givency? I am not sure if there are fake ones on the mareket, as givenchy bags are rare. just in case there is.

57. WatchTheWeather on said:

How do you spot a fake Burberry?

58. How can you tell if the serial number for a fendi spy bag is real? I know the fake ones if googled go to pages that need to be translated, but what happens if you google the real serail numbers? Just asking becuase thinking of buying one from someone and they gave me the serial number any info would be appreciated.

59. The translation in Chinese is very poor. I can hardly understand it. Is this page translated by some software? or by person? You may need to find a good QA to check the translation before you post the page here. I can be the ONE:)

Thanks

60. O.K. the givenchy bag are very rare, and it would be kind of hard to detect because it is such a simple but elegant bag, I went on Barneys to look at the large bag and put a photo from ebay and they seemed exactly alike the chervo leather, I wouldn’t know how to tell the difference the logo is there the hardware color, the same texture leather, How would someone tell?

61. Are all of the quilted Chanel totes (spring summer 2007 line I think) with the large interlocked CC and a corner contrast patch lined in the same fabric? What color should it be, and are there any identifying characteristics of the lining? Also, should the totes have metal “feet?” Even the high-end replica sites advertise that their bags come with serial number, authenticity papers, and dust bags! How can I tell if a bag I see online is authentic?

62. hi i seen a gucci backpack purse at salvation army and was interested in purchasing it. its a tan smooth pattend leather on outside and says gucci on front. the hardware are big G’S THE INSIDE SAYS GUCCI ALL OVER THE FABRIC LINING,BUT THERE IS NO SERIAL NUMBERS OR ANYTHING ELSE. WOULD THIS BE A FAKE? KIM

63. I couldn’t believe how many readers here who share the love of bags would purchase their bags from questionable sources and ending up wondering/ worrying if they now own a fake. To have a peace of mind and be able to truly cherish each bag for its craftmanship is to buy from the actual boutique or high end department store. Because I truly love bags and would never want to doubt any of my precious bags of being fake, I always buy from the boutique.

WELL SAID KRISTEN! OUR THOUGHTS EXACTLY!

XO, BAG SNOB

64. Stephanie on said:

Hi, I was recently looking at a bag on redtagparty.com It’s the Coach Chelsea Signature Satchel in Black/White. It’s $200 but I’m not sure if that’s a secure site to purchase from and how authentic it is. I would’ve bought it at the Coach Store had I been able to track one down. Could someone let me know if they have purchased any authentic bags from this site. It says new with tags, but anyone can get a picture.

65. hi! i just purchased a vintage chanel. it’s all leather. doesn’t have the serials. how else will i identify it’s authenticity?it has an engraved made in france in a gold metal inside the bag. please help me

66. guess the best assurance is to get your branded bags from the boutiques and trusted 2nd hand shops.

:)if you really like seasonal designs but cash tight. resort to getting them at 2nd hand shops or wait for the seasonal sale, which is about 30-50% off original.

67. sherry m on said:

I’d be afraid to buy a designer item on E-Fake, there’s too much junk there. one of my friend recommend me to a good supplier,I’ve bought some high quality replicas though at vvvvvv. ibagcn.com The difference is that I knew exactly what I was buying, and not being ripped off by someone trying to sell at 20% off the orignal $600 price. You don’t always get what you pay for. The company I bought from was honest, with great prices, and quality that would rival the originals. hope it will be helpful for you all.

68. French label Chloe started in 1952 and represented the first wave of prêt-à-porter labels. The list of past designers reads like a who’s who of fashion greats, including Karl Lagerfeld (who took it to iconic status in the 1970s), Stella McCartney and Phoebe Philo. Chloe bag is known for the heavy leather, chunky accessories, and paddlocks, Chole purses have the most popular models such as paddington handbag, Betty bag and Bay bags. The Recently developed Ascot Saddle bag, Edith purse, AVA Tote designer handbag, Edith Satchel bags are chased my laides all over the world. Equestrian Kerala Shoulder handbag and Hampton bag are also hit a lot of attention from designer handbag lovers. We are proud to offer you the newest design from Chloe handbags, one of our best selling and most highly sought after replicas. We understand the many timeless classics that Chloe has brought to the world of fashion in recent years. Our Chloe replica handbags are made with only superior craftsmanship. They truly reflect the Chloe image that is so well loved by all fashionistas. Feel free to browse our selection, and contact us with any questions that you may have.

69. Candice Coriale on said:

I ppurchased a Chanel bag on e-bay and want to know if the serial# is a real one. 8331532.

70. in my opion,

if you want to buy authentic bags, it is better for you to buy it in the brand shop or the authentic brand online shop, such as eluxury.com , mytheresa.com or net-a-porter.com, so everything must be the authentic,and also you may get a sale price on the sale promotion period probably, so you do not need to worry about it is authentic or fake.

if you do not want to pay so much money on one bag, so it is better for you to buy the super quality repica, i know a few of my friends like to buy these great quality replica, and i have seen one of her chanel 2.55, it is really very good quality, and nearly the same as my authentic 2.55, i can not say they are 100% mirror, but 95% mirroor at least. so it is very cost efficient.she recommend me these two site:ibagcn.com and efashionfocus.com,maybe it will be heplful for few of you all.

at last, it is not better to buy the authentic bags on ebay, although it is very strict for the ebay to control the authentic and fake ones, but not 100% guaranteed. there is even very few sellers offer the super grade replicas with authentic price. so it is not good.

71. Hello all!, I was wondering if the Louis Vuitton Vernis Stanton tote was released in the continental U.S. The only other ones I have seen were in FRANCE.

72. Charli on said:

Hi, can anyone tell me how to spot a fake chloe bay bag from 07? I bought it from a boutique 3 years ago and have only just become concerned about it’s authenticity when looking on these forums. I no longer have the cards / tags it came with just the dustbag! It’s obviously good quality lambskin and floppy not stiff like it should be but is there a more definate test? does anyone have one they KNOW to be real to compare with? Thanks.

73. Hi Tina i don’t like the way you said balenciaga is so over and get rid of it. You sounded so snobbish. I love the balenciaga city bag and i think the bag deserve some respect for the fact that it has been around for over 10 years, speaks well of its popularity.

Does anyone know how to authenticate a vintage Redwall for Moschino purse? I think I have one that is incredibly rare. I emailed Leslie hindsman and she thinks it may be from the ‘cruise me baby’ collection. I haven’t been able to find anythign even remotely similar online. The lining has redwall all over it and a serial number on the zipper pully on the interior pocket. It’s real leather and grossgrain ribbon of some sort. It has a venetian/nautical theme. Let me know.

Moschi

75. is this possible for an authentic gucci has no serial number on the back of the tag inside the bag?