Ask the Snob: Hermes Crocodile Dilemma

crocbirkin331.jpg

Ladies,

First, let me say what a tremendous resource you have been in helping me select truly timeless handbags for my wife. I deeply appreciate your insight. We are coming up on our 20th wedding anniversary and I have secured the opportunity to select from a group of 35 cm matte porosus Birkin bags. My wife owns primarily platinum and white gold jewelry, including a black with palladium 35 cm Birkin. The question is, is there a color combination to avoid in reference to leather vs hardware? The first two I will see are Havanne with palladium and gold hardware. Also, I wonder how you would rate the palette of Croc colors?

Warm regards,

MS

Dear MS,

First, let us say what a lucky girl your wife is! You are a wonderful and thoughtful husband to consider her jewelry and accessories when choosing a bag for her. We should all send our husbands to you for training!

Now, to answer your questions. If your wife owns primarily platinum and white gold jewelry, you should go for either the palladium or ruthenium hardware. Not that there is anything wrong with mixing gold and silver, I would just stick with something safe for an investment bag like the crocodile birkin. You can get a gold hardware leather birkin later so she can mix things up. As for avoiding color combinations, there is really no wrong way to choose. It’s all about personal preference. Hermes would not offer a combination that would not be beautiful. And when you order a birkin, your SA will check to see if the combination is available, which is an indication of the compatibility of the color combination. As for the palette of croc colors, my favorites are the unusual colors. I find black crocodile boring and I chose Graphite as my croc this year (it looks like gray, black or brown depending on the light). Havanne is gorgeous in palladium or gold. Dark blue indigo, Rouge or vert fonce (Emerald) are also stunning.

Whatever you choose, I am sure it will be perfect. I think any girl who receives a crocodile birkin will not complain :)

Good luck!

Bag Snob

29 thoughts on “Ask the Snob: Hermes Crocodile Dilemma

1. Pam Stein 26 from NYC on said:

Ahhhhh Emerald..So gorg!!

get indigo. your wife will love it!

3. What a wonderful husband this man is. My husband is also an excellent gift giver, so I had him read this letter. He won’t have to wonder what gift to buy for me next time!

4. MS,your wife is the luckiest girl on Earth! I hope my future husband-whoever that might be,will be as sweet as you;)

5. MS,

i’m praying that my future husband is as generous & thoughtful as you are…

6. Do u have a BROTHER?!?!?!?!?!?

7. I must say I would not really want a husband who is that knowledgeable about handbags.

8. sickgirl on said:

So 25 is silver and 50 is gold … is there anyway to make 20 officially the “Birkin” anniversary?

9. what a great husband you are! i would say that any color exotic will work out beatifully for your wife. i own a graphite alligator and a fuchia ostrich birkin and i love them both- one is elegant and another one is great fun. just depends which color directions you want to go. good luck!

10. Seriously, you are a good good man. Dreams do come true. :)

11. It’s the thought that counts…even if this wasn’t asking for advice about a luxury handbag (*swoon*), the consideration to detail and knowledge of the wife’s personal tastes are very endearing.

12. Fashion-in-the-making on said:

Oh wow look how many woman want a sugardaddy. You know its better if he just gives you flowers or a card saying how special you are, and ask for your opinion when it comes to him.. If you really want a Hermes bag work hard to get it.

When it comes to the post i was lost in translation. Just get the one that is most expensive or get her 2, in case she does not like one..

13. Can you contact my husband and teach him how to appreciate Hermes??? Please???

14. Wouldn´t mind getting something like this from my husband!

15. What a great hubby. When my sister got her Kelly bag from her hubby, she said for the first time she was speechless and did not know to laugh or cry. Whatever you buy her she will love it. But, I think orange is wonderful.

16. “Oh wow look how many woman want a sugardaddy. … If you really want a Hermes bag work hard to get it.”

thank you.

17. Wow. I think Graphite Croc is the richest, most unique and most unexpected colour. It’s slightly gray, slightly black look gives a major pop to the birkin. : ) And I do think that it’ll look breath-taking with palladium hardware.

What a good husband you are, might I add! A very lucky woman.. your wife is.

18. Wanting your husband to appreciate handbags that you admire is no different from your husband wanting a wife who can appreciate luxury cars that he admires. In either case I fail to see how that makes the wife or the husband a sugar daddy.

Totally Irene..sounds like a case of sour grapes to me…also sounds like “fashion-in-the-making” stumbled across the wrong blog? Hello! This is a bag blog therefore shallow obsessing and long discussions over purses is a must! Besides, buying a Hermes bag for yourself is not nearly as nice as your DH taking the time to pick one out for you on your 20th wedding anniversary.

I’ve also seen “fashion-in-the-making” posting other senseless comments, namely in the ruined Chanel purse thread. Makes me seriously wonder why they’re even on this blog????

20. I agree with anonymous. I always treasure gifts from my husband way more than anything I buy for myself. They always have special meaning whether it is clothing, jewelry,handbags etc.

21. dear “fashion in the making” whatever that means!!! I have been married for almost 20 years and let me tell you!! that women has worked HARD!!!! just in case you were wondering!!!!! SO YES!! she deserves a BIRKIN!!!

22. Fashio-in-the-making on said:

I apologize if I insulted 3 women or maybe 4. Sorry from the bottom of my heart. Oh and for the person who said what’s Fashion-in-the-making stands for. It means, fashion that has not being made yet. What does ?? means. Now I am going to think before I say my opinion. I apologize BAGSNOB..

Fashion-in-the-making,

Thank you for the apology. Our readers were not saying they’d like a sugar daddy, but they long for a husband who would be as considerate when choosing a gift for them. Whether it be a crocodile birkin or a birthday card.

All- thanks for the suggestions! Mrs. MS is a lucky lady indeed!

xoxo

24. Lady Jane on said:

Despite of the generosity and thoughtfulness from MS to his wife, I hope she is not reading our comments or it will not be a surprise (LOL). Whatever MS buys for his wife, it’s the thought that counts and I know she will love it because it is from his heart. Whichever Hermes bag you buy, MS – congratulations to your 20th anniversary. I am so thrilled to see that you are celebrating in style. I am also blessed with a very thoughtful and generous husband who one day just brought home a 30cm Birkin in Togo gold color. I am a career woman who can afford many birkins but it is so heartwarming to know that my husband cares deeply…You go MS!

25. A Sugar Daddy would not spend the time to email the Bag Snobs for advice, he has “people” who shop for him. This is a thoughtful and sweet man. Any girl would be lucky to land a husband like MS.

26. MS, you are a good man:) As for the color birkin to get, it really depends on what your wife looks like….I, for one, love all the basic colors (black, white, gold) as well as Bright colors (bleu brighton, deep green, fushia and reds)..i think a red in croc is a great color for a lot of skin tones as well as a black croc…congrats on 20 years together! all the best..Ping.

27. fashionaddict on said:

Hi

Pers mine is matte black croc & I ordered a new one but I’m supersticious so I’ll tell you about when I receive it .kisses

28. fashionaddict on said: