UPDATE- Click here to read our readers’ questions for Nina and her answers!
We absolutely loved filming with Nina! She was so sweet and nice– though we’d hoped she’d bitch slap us a bit We ran into Nina at the DVF show last Sunday and ran up to her squealing to thank her for putting us in her new book “The One Hundred”. We were like two little kids, hugging her and gushing our adoration. Thankfully she tolerated us! Later in the week, I attended Nina’s book launch party hosted by Marie Claire at Milk Studios and got a peek at her hubby– quite the dashing and handsome man! If you have not picked up a copy of Nina’s new book- you must do so immediately. I’ve been checking the list off and of course making new lists of must haves. Buy “The One Hundred” Here!
Nina is wearing Balenciaga, I am in RM by Roland Mouret (I have this dress in different colors, it’s become my uniform!) and Kelly is in DVF. Bagsnob.com and Nina Garcia would like to thank Bergdorf Goodman for opening the store at 7am in order for us to film.
Click here to watch on YouTube (iPhone)
Nina Garcia Q & A-
1. Do you really have a motorcycle jacket? What kind?
Of course! I have a few. I have an old Balenciaga that I invested in years ago and the Kate Moss version from TopShop. I have one that is falling apart, but I refuse to throw it out because I love it so much.
2. Did you get the Latina gene for loving bright colors? If so, how can you do this with control and style?
I do love the drama of bright colors. It immediately let’s everyone know that you are in the house. The trick to wearing bright colors is not to go overboard. It’s always a safe bet to pair bright colors with muted tones. If you are not ready for a full on hot pink dress, go for the accessories first and slowly work your way on up.
3. If you had to pick only 10 from your list, which 10 would you not be able to live without?
In The Little Black Book of Style, I laid down ten “bones” of a wardrobe, and I stick by them:
1) The Little Black Dress (Of course.)
2) A Classic Men’s White Shirt (The closer to a man’s cut, the better)
3) A Cashmere Cardigan or Turtleneck (Definitely have a black one, to throw over anything and everything.)
4) A Trench Coat (The traditional Burberry is an uncontested standby.)
5) Denim (There is no substitute for a favorite pair of jeans that fit just right. Don’t worry about labels.)
6) A Man’s Classic Watch (An oversized watch on a women’s wrist is lovely in it’s contrast.)
7) Diamonds (Studs are a easy way to up the ante in seconds. Real or fake is fine.)
8) Ballet Flats (A plain black ballet flat proves that you can do casual and comfortable with style).
9) A Classic High Heel Pump (A faithful black heel is a must. Spend your money here and look to the masters–Louboutin, Manolo, Jimmy Choo–for good materials and a classic design. )
10) A Great Bag (Invest in a classic bag that you can use season after season (i.e. The Chanel 2.55), and avoid the bag du jour.
4. What tips do you have more new mothers who are in the “in between” weight. Should she shop at Target until her weight is ideal? Or splurge on designer pieces in larger sizes?
Both. Shop at Target for the staples, but splurge on those pieces that are going to make you feel good about yourself. No matter what, it’s important to feel good about yourself. In fact, this advice goes for all women.
5. Speaking of Target, how do you feel about high end designers like Proenza Schouler hawking their goods to the masses?
It’s genius. I love that high end labels are becoming available to all. If fashion does not make it to “the masses,” it’s not really fashion, is it?
6. Tell us your anti aging and stay slim secrets please!
Indulge in sunscreen and face cream. Never deny yourself ice cream.
We are giving away 3 copies of “The One Hundred”– all you have to do to win is tell us your your favorite piece of accessory! Leave your answer in comments, we will pick a winner via random computer drawing at the end of Friday, Sept 19th at midnight. US residents only please!