Judith Leiber Ganesh Clutch: Snob, Slob, or Pray?

leiberganeshclutch.jpgleiberganeshback.jpg

Judith Leiber has outdone herself with the fancy Ganesh clutch.  Though I don’t know whether I’m supposed to carry this thing or set it on an altar and pray to it daily. Granted, it is an intricate piece by an expert bedazzler (and no, I don’t think your 10 year old can do this at home) but why would anyone want to carry around the best known and most widely worshipped deity in India!?!?  It reminds me of the candles made in the likeness of Buddhas in the US, my aunt almost had a heart attack when she saw someone light Buddha’s head on fire!  Seriously, the Ganesh is known as the Lord of Beginnings and a sacred deity in India, Nepal and many other Asian countries (I doubt they are happy about this).  To certain people, it would be like bedazzling a statue of Baby Jesus to carry around as an accessory– to hold their cigarettes, to be dropped on the floor, etc. Sacrilegious you say?  Exactly.  But then I don’t think Jesus would have as fancy a backside as the Ganesh so perhaps that is not a fair analogy but you get my point.  And if you want to buy the Ganesh clutch you better pray to the Lord of Fortune because it is priced at $5,595.

Judith Leiber Ganesh clutch at Net-a-Porter.com herer

23 thoughts on “Judith Leiber Ganesh Clutch: Snob, Slob, or Pray?

1. I agree Tina…in very poor taste.

2. Yuck.

People, this is why the Luxury business is in trouble.

3. You might look at this differently. Half the cab drivers in India have Ganesha sitting on their dashboards (as some of we Americans have Jesus). And I find it hard to believe that Judith Leiber produced this without some market research.

4. i’d rather get this bedazzled clutch http://blog.gifts.com/giftrap/categories/fashion-gifts/red-carpet-style that is more toned down and goes with more outfits than the ganesh clutch. plus i wont be breaking the bank!

5. Having Jesus on a dashboard is quite different than a $5500 bag made in his likeness.

this is hideous and oh so TACKY!

Are you saying Judith Leiber is marketing this bag to Indian cab drivers?

7. LOL!!! I love Tina’s writing style!!

8. Perhaps she teamed up with Glen Beck for the design? I think this bag is on par with his insensiitive remarkes about the Ganges River- only in bag form. I am sick of people acting like Hinduism isn’t a real religion and taking elements of it for disrespectful fashion statements- Madonna thinking a class in yoga makes it ok for her to mark herself up as a senior priest would, Gwen Stefani and her bindi phase, Diesel and their use of Hindu gods on t-shirts, etc. I would never dress up as a crucified jesus for Halloween but Heidi Klum thinks it’s ok for her to dress up as a Indian Goddess? Jackasses, all of them!

9. As a Christian, I would find it appalling to see a clutch made in the likeness of Jesus nailed on a cross, sequined or not. I apologize on behalf of the jackass westerners who do not respect Hindu religions and beliefs :-(

On another note, this is an outrageous price for a clutch!

10. lol, Tina, you’re on fire girl! Love that post! I’m glad you’ve mentioned the religious connotation, this bag is not only bad taste but can also be offensive to some. Somehow can’t imagine an encrusted Star of David being Judith’s next season must have bag?

11. I’ve been trying to determine exactly how I felt about this bag, ever since I’ve seen it.

After all, how many stylized crosses are there, out there? I doubt that everyone wearing a Vacheron Constantine watch – or a rock inspired tshirt – is a Christian. And even those for whom the cross is a religious symbol – do they think about what they are wearing?

If people disrespect their own faith, they will casually abuse the faith of others. Just look at the southwestern American Kachinas – gods which are treated like dolls, made for the tourist trade.

If someone behaves badly, does that mean everyone has the right to do so?

12. mochababe73 on said:

This is why I love blogs on the internet. I have learned alot. I thought that this was just an elephant clutch. I am not one to read a whole lot into things. Everywhere we go we see people wearing crosses around their neck and some depict Jesus on the cross. So, I am not getting all of the hoopla surrounding this bag.

Everyone just gets so offended by everything with this stupid political correctness that it’s just sickening. If someone wore a bag like this depicting Jesus on the cross, I say let them. It in no way diminishes my religious beliefs or what my husband and I are teaching our children.

13. mochababe73 on said:

14. Tina I would like to thank you for doing research and articulating the religious aspect so well and succinctly. I have seen this clutch on several blogs and no one has been sensitive enough about the feelings of Hindus and other religious groups who think Ganesha is sacred. They just thought of it as a clutch.

Religious pendants are quite common in India as well and usually those are in form of symbols such as Om but not the actual deity.

I would like to see how you feel when Jesus is made into a candle and burned.

16. Lol!!! Tina, you’re so funny!

17. Jessica S on said:

Very clever, insightful and educational post.

18. Defiset it on an altar and pray to it dailynately ‘set it on an altar and pray to it daily’

19. As an Indian, this is offensive. I would be appalled to see anyone carrying this around, Indian or not. The deities are treated with respect, whether they are in your house or on your dashboard. The deity is there for your personal beliefs, not to flaunt for others. Just plain offensive.

20. lucretias on said:

I agree with Tina. A religion’s god used as a purse is not for me.I was horrifed when I saw the Buddha as a candle. I can’t imagine Jesus Christ in candle form being burned. It’s this lack of appreciation of other people’s faith that leads to instances like the Taliban’s destruction of ancient stone Buddhas of Bamyan in Afghanistan.

21. Too funny!!!

22. Don’t we all recall that Sex and the City episode, when Big gives Carry a JL bag…and her reaction. Yes, these bags are offensive, to good taste!

23. They do make Jesus into candles and burn them…Catholic schools and sunday schools sell them every year. They are tall glasses, with sparkly Jesus scenes on them, and they hold a candle inside. Decorative, burned, for Christians and anyone else who wants. But it is done.

To each his own. It is a beautiful example of a Ganesha, remover of obstacles….