Coach Classics: There’s Nothing Like Your First Time

coach_classics_1.png

Back in the seventies, before logo mania took over and you could spot a little Coach bag from a mile away by it’s C-covered fabric style, the company was known for its leather goods. Currently led by executive creative director and president Reed Krakoff, aiming to re-capture their core audience is a wise move. At an accessible price point and sold in literally every major store, for many girls Coach was their entry level designer bag. (There was a time when you saw many a pre-teen proudly toting a tiny Coach satchel). Now they have unleashed their classics exclusively on Net-a-Porter, like the flap-centric Stewardess ($360), the Small Shoulder bag ($300) (modern in bright red) and the Field bag ($500) (looks like Mulberry was inspired!), in hopes to tap into sentimental memories and perhaps capture a new audience to usher in a fresh generation of Coach-lovers.

Let’s get nostalgic. What about you? What was your first major bag purchase?

Madison Satchel. On Net-a-Porter for $360.

Duffle Bucket Bag. On Net-a-Porter for $400

23 thoughts on “Coach Classics: There’s Nothing Like Your First Time

1. Every “It” sorority girl in college carried a Coach, wore Swatch and drove an Honda Prelude. (okay not EVERY one) My bestie had a navy shoulder bag. So classic! What a great capsule collection. I’m loving the Madison!

2. Bought the small shoulder bag in navy as a high schooler. I still have it – no patch or number inside – just the rough side of the leather. Have carried it for 30+ years, and I think I’ll get the red one now that I can afford to be less practical (besides, I’ve been looking for a small red bag…)

3. How funny – had a Coach bag, drove a Honda (albeit a Civic hatchback – it was new and shiny), and wore a swatch – but was never in a sorority (unless you consider that the entire University of Virginia looked like a sorority in the late 70s and early 80s).

4. I think the “nostalgia” part is missing here for me unless these were made in the U.S. (like the originals) and not China…

5. Valley Fields on said:

Going to Saks Fifth Ave. in NYC and buying a Marc Jacobs bag for my 15 year old daughter was a highlight of my trip to NYC! She has been carrying the bag for a year and all her friends envy that! I hope to buy myself a classic Chanel bag when possible. I love the brand. And I like reading bagsnob posts via twitter and new to me-rainbow reader on my iphone. I learn what is quality and what is not and of course, say no to fakes-I see so many women in my area carrying fake bags & it bothers me. Have a great day!

My first major bag purchase was a Dooney and Burke (about $200) almost 10 years ago. It was a huge step up from the $20 bags I bought prior to that, but I was so excited and wore it for a long time. I went with my friend to Bloomies, where she also purchased her first, a Burberry bag (about $300). We wore our bags proudly until we started buying more and more expensive bags. But, I guess you always remember your first.

This Coach collection is nice. I like the red one.

7. Kaiulani on said:

Coach was my first grown-up bag bought about 15 year ago. Before that it was all under $100 bags from Macy’s etc… I still have my first Coach but now I have certainly expanded my taste. This year alone I got my very first Nancy Gonzalez and Valextra!!

8. Lesley on said:

My first bag was a Coach! Ah..brings back memories. My mom bought it for me as a birthday gift, I think. I was the first one in the group of my friends to get a Coach (: But alas, it has now been passed on to my little cousin.

9. Agree gpc!!! My first several nice bags were Coach classics made in the US. I had a briefcase as well. I wore all of them out and when they looked too bad to carry to work, I donated them. I turned away when they started putting their logo on everything, and when I learned they were made in China. So sad a classic American Brand sold out to the lowest bidder! No more coach for me.

10. My first big bag purchases YEARS ago, Dooney and Burke then Coach. I would lust over Louis Vuitton. I laugh now at how much I paid for my treasures. At the time nothing was over $100.00.I was sooooo proud of my first Coach. When I graduated to Louis Vuitton it was a whopping $175.00. LOL. As my daughter would say,”back in the day”. My how the prices of our “guilty pleasures” have increased :/ $4000.00 for Chanel :/ As long as we are willing to pay, the prices will continue to soar !!!

11. Ahh! This brings back so many wonderful memories! I kept my original Coach up until only a few years ago and it was still in perfect condition!!!

Love all your comments on your first major bag purchase! Keep them coming.

while we’re at it, what about first major shoe purchase?

xoxo

Tina

13. lastnametea on said:

where are the coach classics being made?

14. mochababe73 on said:

I consider my first Liz Claiborne about 18 years ago to be my first “grown-up” bag purchase. I got so many compliments. I was no longer interested in carrying Esprit, Tommy, or Guess?. My mother carried them, and I wanted one, too.

I have ALWAYS wanted that Coach stewardess bag in that exact color. It looks so rich.

15. Yvette on said:

My first major “grown-up” bag purchase was my first Gucci drawstring bag for $200. I moved on carrying several other Gucci and Coach bags that I still have them. I’m saving them for the neice to carry one day. I hope she will loved them. I also rock the MCM bags in the 90′s.

16. I still have my forest green suede duffel bucket bag. It is a gorgeous color & so soft! I loved the suede bags that Coach came out with years ago.

No matter what bags I get I will always like Coach. I will admit that I am happy with the classic bags are coming back. They are timeless and go with everything. While logo bags are fun & for the moment – in my opinion, the Coach ones always seem to be more over the top and trendy unlike classic and timeless like LVs are.

17. weaslgrl on said:

My first good bags, in HS in the 70′s, were this very same Coach small shoulder bag (chocolate brown) and a Stone Mountain hobo. When I graduated college, my Italian cousin thought that we were entirely too provincial here in the States, so she shipped me my first Fendi bag. It was a medium sized black frame bag, with a twisted shoulder strap. I didn’t know whether to frame it or use it. I still have it, but it’s hopelessly 80′s-looking. Maybe I just need to wait another 10 years :-)

18. jennifer on said:

My first ‘real’ bag was a Dooney Bourke I bought with high school graduation $$ (Class of 1995!). I got the matching wallet & key chain as well. Still have them & they still look great! Been carrying a Coach Court from the 90s since last year -pulled it out bc I wanted something different. The long strap sure took some getting used to again. But still love my Court & the ‘normal’ sized bags of the Classic Coach era -not these suitcases of today. I would’ve never guessed that last year when I pulled out my Court that the Classics would be making comeback! Who knew?? =)

19. weaslgrl on said:

Just received the Coach small shoulder purse in red and, alas, must send it back. I knew it would be smaller than the 70′s original, from the dimensions in the description, but in person it’s really no bigger than a wristlet. So disappointing!

20. Catalina on said:

These stories are fun to read!

My first “major” bag purchase was the tiny Louis Vuitton Pouchette in a trip to France. I remember feeling so guilty for spending so much money on it. Haha I wish my conscience had remained such a good influence for my savings account, but alas, I must have fine leather goods :)

I will always keep this little dude, it brings me such good memories of that summer! I am however thinking of selling one of my other LVs to contribute to my dream Chanel clutch fund which needs to grow faster. I am a bit sad to see my bag go since I have sort of become attached to it, its in damier azur and is simple but looks nice with almost everything. I think it will be worth it once I have my Chanel, right? What do you guys think :S

21. Catalina on said:

These stories are fun to read!

22. Great Question! It wasn’t MY first purchase but my mom bought me a pretty pink Gucci with pink interlocking G’s at the old boutique on Fifth Avenue (pre move to Trump), I was around 12. The first bag I purchased on my own was a LV Black Epi bag (St Jacques).

Shoes? Hmmm…I think they were (dare I say!) Stuart Weitzman in high school, my first “big” shoe purchase was a pair of black satin Manolo Carolynes..memories!

23. Looking forward to it! Is it on the 12th also? Great charity drive