I will always reserve a sweet spot for steamy summer nights, but cool weather definitely has its perks. Aside from giving my gauzy maxi dresses a much-needed break, I can count five off the top of my head right now! Each of these coats (heavy enough to get you through fall, even if you don’t live in California, but more like jackets if you’re considering serious keep-you-toasty coats) has a special perk of its own. From elbow patches to cozy collars, these coats will make you revel the time when you’re ready to hide some skin, up until you’re thinking about bundling.
1) Boy, By Band of Outsiders Alpaca-Blend and Rabbit Coat: From casual to formal and everything in between, this keeps you warm while ensuring you stay super-cool. Let it hang open to flaunt both your big fur lapel and laid-back sensibility. On Net-a-Porter for $2,40.
2) Tibi “Novelty” Leather-Trimmed Wool Coat: Black leather trim is the piping du jour for cape- and poncho-like cuts. This voluminous turtleneck has a funky vibe for not-too chilly days and feminine ruffled sleeves that entice to show off your layering prowess. On Net-a-Porter for $825.
3) Helmut Lang Leather-Trimmed Cotton and Wool-Blend Trench Coat: For the night owls and gallery addicts, this is Helmut Lang at their best. Cotton and wool-blend panels punctuated by majorly slick leather, this is artsy and rugged. On Net-a-Porter for $1,120.
4) Diane von Furstenberg “Harrington” Brushed Coat: Sleek and cozy tends to be an oxy moron, but this blend of mohair, wool, and alpaca is heavy on both. A delicious color like this is just what you need to brighten up a dreary fall day – and pop against darker fall tones. On Net-a-Porter for $695.
5) Alexander Wang Zippered Coat: Deceptively simple, just the way you are. The intrigue is in the details – look closer to discover them. A white cashmere-blend coat looks as pure as can be, but with motorcycle details of quilted elbow patches and statement zippers, it’s got a surprise twist. At Saks Fifth Avenue for $985.