While The Row’s all-leather shells and vests are brimming with ladylike-tough appeal, it’s likely that most days you won’t want the constrained feeling of leather all over your top half. Enter the brilliant fusion of the leather top and feminine blouse: all the breathe-ability, along with the desired edge. Soft and hard is certainly not a new theme in dressing, but the mix of fluidity and skins is a trend that’s really taking shape. Normally, blouses seem so office-serious – not a garment that factors into my life – but add leather trim, and you’re introduced to a whole new realm of options.
1) Elizabeth and James Chantal Blouse: This isn’t just a touch of leather – they go all out with a ruched mega-cuff, taking care of your bangle needs. Good thing the rest of the blouse is soft and collar-free. On ShopBop for $345.
2) Cushnie et Ochs Georgette Blouse with Black Leather: A sleek, streamlined blouse, perfect for office – and perfect to complete jet-black leather. Open a second button for just enough attitude to wear out at night. On ShopBop for $895.
3) Raoul Leather-Front Crepe de Chine Shirt: Raoul takes a harder approach with this boldly hard-edged shell. But the slender lines are formfitting, resulting in a shirt that’s severe yet feminine and modern-sophisticated. On Luisa Via Roma for $685.
4) Sea Silk Leather-Trim Blouse: Winning the versatility award, this shirt is easy for everyday and can be worn with all kinds of options. Untucked and casual, pulled into high-waisted trousers for a formal feel, or layered with a chemise for added interest. At Barneys New York for $298.
5) Alexander Wang Mesh Shirt with Leather Combo: Alex Wang takes sheer sexiness all the way. This see-through blouse has rock ‘n’ roll wives in mind. Wear it with a couture sports bra when you’re in the mood to turn some heads. On ShopBop for $450.