High heels get all the glory. You are unlikely to find a snob squealing over a ballet flat the way she would over a six-inch Louboutin. They tend not to have the same effect. Rather than suggesting glamorous nights and passionate dates, the flat has a habit of connoting more perfunctory affairs. Not these! I’ve found a hot handful of flats that will have you thinking twice about strapping on your stilettos. Or even your more comfortable platform wedges (I’ve been wearing my Pedro Garcias to death). Here are some anti-heel shoes that are positioned to give your height-givers a run for their money.
1) Adidas Originals Jeremy Scott Wings Ballerina Flats: These might not have height, but they are sure to take flight. A ridiculously simple ballet flat, complete with no-slip rubber sole, gets an original Nike-approved makeover, taking these conversation pieces from drab to desirable. On Luisa Via Roma for $173.
2) Manolo Blahnik Pepe Sandal: Two leather straps and a band of elastic have never looked dressier. This uncomplicated flat sandal is more formal than the rest, the result of clean lines, a minimalist approach, and shiny, high-quality leather. At Barneys New York for $645.
3) Lanvin Jeweled Flower Sandal: Dazzle your feet with a sandal that’s evening gown appropriate (if you’ve got the height, that is). A tulle-trimmed cluster of jewels plus a flirty tassel detail and a low, chunky heel add up to glamour that you can actually walk in. At Barneys New York for $895.
4) Giuseppe Zanotti Crystal-Embellished Satin Ballerina Flats: Call it the “Black Swan” effect. Pale pink ballerina flats look demure, but with a crystal-coated toe and T-strap, these Mary Janes are suited for nights on the town. The addition of an ankle strap increases the appeal. On Net-A-Porter for $650.
5) J.Crew Iris Snakeskin Flat Sandals: As if I don’t love J.Crew already, these snakeskin sandals are cool enough to stand up to any heel. Two tones of skin, gray-tinged nude and deep, dark brown, make for an inspiring transitional shoe. On Net-a-Porter for $350.