Ask any fashion editor and they will tell you, the statement coat is the investment piece of the season. Well, nothing makes a statement like a powerful shot of bright color! If you think about it, a vivid hue makes perfect sense when it comes to coats; simply big sheaths of fabric for keeping us warm, they don’t really have to match anything. They can stand on their own. A brightly colored coat, whether it’s vibrant marigold or stimulating magenta, is a great, one-shot way to inject tonality without forcing you to rework your entire wardrobe. Say yes to lively and fun! Why? Because they are no rainbows in the winter, and black and gray is – admit it – boring.
1) Proenza Schouler Twill Coat: Vibrant yet earthy orange with a menswear ease, this is the ultimate in laid-back colorful coolness. With a simple single button closure and intriguing stitching – asymmetry always adds interest – this is a keeper that won’t pierce your eyes. On Net-a-Porter for $2,500.
2) Diane von Furstenberg Mikhaila Wool-Blend Coat: The Queen of Prints delivers solid chic. Diane’s subdued spice-red wool-blend trench doesn’t scream, “look at me,” but calls it softly. On Net-a-Porter for $745.
3) Sonia by Sonia Rykiel Wool and Cashmere-Blend Duffel Coat: Channel your youthful prepster with happy yellow. Too much yellow is too much of a good thing, but cut short and belled, with adorable toggle closure, it’s a cheerful winner. On Net-a-Porter for $860.
4) Vanessa Bruno Wool and Cashmere-Blend Felt Coat: If you don’t like all eyes on you, then move right along. This is punchy fuchsia that’s packing ultra-violet heat, while the draped ties and ultra-minimal closure bring an air of sophistication. On Net-a-Porter for $2,065.
5) Valentino Leather Trench Coat: Lean, mean, and deep hunter-green. The verdant hue has never looked so luxe. Right off the runway, wear this bit of belted decadence with a drop-dead glamorous red lip. On Net-a-Porter for $8,490.