It’s no secret I’m a big fan of the show (honestly, I get belly pains of nostalgia when I think about it), and I suppose it’s also no secret I’m a fan of bags with flash! But bags don’t have to necessarily be bursting with color to light up the night sky. The color black can take on an entirely new meaning when even just a detail or two is embellished. Whether it’s shimmer, beading, studs, skin, or crackled texture, these deep, dark bags have what it takes to brighten your spirits – not that they would need to when it’s Friday night.
1) VBH Manila Stretch Sparkle Clutch: You can never go wrong with impeccably crafted VBH, particularly in the form of their savvily shaped Manila envelope clutch. When it’s cast in a sparkling stretch fabric, it evokes the pitch-black sky lit with a distant sprinkling of intergalactic stars. At http://www.bergdorfgoodman.com/store/catalog/prod.jhtml?itemId=prod64920028&parentId=cat289102&masterId=cat260104&index=49&cmCat=cat000000cat257221cat260104cat289102&isEditorial=false Bergdorf Goodmanfor $1,100.
2) Burberry Prorsum Beaded Textured-Leather Wristlet Clutch: Your basic calf-leather clutch is anything but when it’s been given Burberry’s latest treatment of brightening wooden beads. Just a few yummy layers frame the patent-leather strap for a an effect that’s earthy-meets-gumball fun. A braided wristlet adds a third element for textural impact. On Net-a-Porter for $1,095.
3) Alexander McQueen Wicca Studded Suede Clutch: Rebellious McQueen gets a ladylike makeover thanks to proper structure – and so do studs. These glistening dots of metal are too perfect to be traditionally rock ‘n’ roll. Set on tailored black suede, they bring inviting evening flavor. On Net-a-Porter for $1,545.
4) Lanvin Lizard-Flap Envelope Clutch: Sometimes a panel of skin is all you need to make a bag spectacular. Lanvin shows elegant restraint by showcasing black argentine tejus lizard with minimal pomp – nothing but a trio of stitched-on metal frames to add a hint of high-shine punctuation. At http://www.bergdorfgoodman.com/store/catalog/prod.jhtml?itemId=prod69430053&parentId=cat289101&masterId=cat260104&index=13&cmCat=cat000000cat257221cat260104cat289101&isEditorial=false Bergdorf Goodman for $1,490.
5) Yves Saint-Laurent Metallic Easy Medium Top-Handle: For a different kind of Friday night: when you jetting away for the weekend and need a top-handled carryall for all your basics. Crackly, high-sheen inky leather takes a metallic cast that tricks to eye into seeing something more mysterious. The texture also gives their trademark “Y” a subtle new spin. On Luisa Via Roma for $2,067.