Normally, all we talk about is what’s brand, spanking new, but truly snobby bags are meant to be treasured – and used to death. A beat-up, well-worn bag is also a well-loved one (like the Buzz and Woody, your bags want to be played with!).
But some live hard and die young – not all bags take a beating well. Like a finely tuned fighter who can take a strong punch without get knocked out, it’s takes a bag that has the right stuff to really last. Here are a few that I think only get better with age:
1) Ralph Lauren Laced Leather Hobo: Ralph Lauren uses saddle leathers to ensure your bag patinas beautifully. Plus, the slightly rugged-Western aesthetic lends itself to creased leather and deep wear. At Ralph Lauren for $1,500.
2) Nina Ricci Ondine Large Tote: The style of Nina Ricci’s bags may go up, down, and all around, but the quality of their leather is solid and steady. This butter-soft calf-leather tote is just begging to gets some lines in it. At Barneys New York for $1,250.
3) Bottega Veneta Intrecciato Tote: Looks (and touch) can be deceiving. Bottega bags feel soft and delicate, but that iconic weave is as sturdy as they come. Test the quality and you’ll see: these bags are built to last a lifetime. At Barneys New York for $3,480.
4) Yves Saint Laurent Cabas ChYc Satchel: A new breed of iconic bag, Yves Saint Laurent’s everyday carry-all already comes showing off textural, almost pebbly leather. A hint of rock ‘n’ roll edge means it welcomes some messing up. At Bergdorf Goodman for $1,995.
5) The Hermès Birkin: You can literally stomp on this bag, and it will still be awesome. As a matter of fact, my girlfriend in Paris tells me in the seventies, her mother would take her new Hermès bags out to the fields and stomp on them before using them, to get that nice, worn-in look. Inquire at Hermès – bonne chance!