How do we feel about the current cutout trend? Unlike those on sexy mini-dresses, shoes’ latest cutouts are on the artsy side. It has a very homegrown DIY and crafty vibe to it, no? I’m all about a good craft project, so I personally love it. But I can see how it can take some getting used to. Once your eyes adjust to the hand-touched spirals and zigzags, think about pairing these down-home shoes with something paradoxically glamorous.
1) Etro Suede-Appliquéd Wedge Sandals: It looks like Picasso got his hands on these easy-pitch platforms. Wacky lines like these make for plenty of verve. On Net-a-Porter for $810.
2) Christian Louboutin Miramar Suede and Patent Wedge Pump: Fun and quirky, a cork heel all dressed up with cutouts completely changes the look of this casual shoe. At Neiman Marcus for $995.
3) Marni Cutout Suede Platform Wedges: Gold on black suede brings evening allure to a playful pattern. Folksy just got a little Rococo. On Net-a-Porter for $795.
4) Brian Atwood Claudia Embroidered Suede Pumps: This opulent embroidery is more bespoke than DIY, but colorfully embellished cutouts still have a satisfying hands-on effect. On Net-a-Porter for $2,115.
5) Christian Louboutin Loubi Zeppa Crisscross Wedge: Meet the wacky side of the heel master. Show off your snob spirit with the varsity-meets-circus patches on these 20-year-anniversary platforms. At Bergdorf Goodman for $1,095.