Forget any old associations with the term “goth.” Once used to described alienated teenagers who wore too much Wet ‘n’ Wild black eyeliner and listened to Marilyn Manson, all that has changed. With the rise of designers like Riccardo Tisci and Haider Ackermann, as well as mysterious fashionistas like Kate Lanphear and Leigh Lezark, we’re now finding a little goth in all of us! One thing that hasn’t changed? Goths are true to the shade of black – and so are these bags, bound to get you in touch with your dark side.
1) Anya Hindmarch Patent-Leather Envelope Clutch: Goths love their high-shine PVC, as long as it’s in ebony, of course. With a faceted-crystal closure, Anya’s patent take is an approachable variation on liquidy latex. On NET-A-PORTER for $350.
2) Christian Louboutin Sweet Charity Spike-Studded Bag: Think Gothic Lolita. The plentiful spikes are totally hardcore, but the neat bow (almost hidden under all that hardware!) softens it up. At Bergdorf Goodman for $1,195.
3) Paula Cademartori Stud and Crystal Caroline Shoulder Bag: This Goth might be all grown-up, but she’s still not afraid of a little pain. This structured bag might prick, but it’s worth it for the edgy-meets-polished style. On Luisa via Roma for $2,243.
4) Thomas Blakk Soft Boombox Laser Patent-Leather Clutch: The hue might not be loud on this “Boombox” clutch, but the texture is mega-watt. We know Goths are night-crawlers, and this multi-textural gleamer is sure to catch the moonlight. On Luisa via Roma for $1,214.
5) Bottega Veneta Breezy Hobo Bag: The name might be “Breezy,” but this bag is tough stuff. Python and leather have been rather savagely patched together to put a dark, murky spin on usually polished Bottega. At Barneys New York for $3,900.