It never ceases to amaze me how a certain kind of shoe can prance from stripper and Playmate territory right into the realm of snob-worthy chic. A tweak here, an aesthetic adjustment there, and next thing you know, what once was tacky is now de rigueur for cat-walkers, not streetwalkers! Like the Lucite heel: it’s fresh, classy, and so much fun! The latest crystal-clear heels are so modern and made-over, you can wear them day or night, out of the office and yes, into the club.
1) Marc Jacobs Transparent Mary Jane Heel: The suggestively see-through effect of PVC and a Lucite heel is so naughty, but the prim and proper silhouette is as sweet as pie. A modest 2” heel has never looked more daring.
On La Garçonne for $675.
2) Stuart Weitzman Embellished Metallic Snake-Print Leather Sandals: The pageant queen of flat sandals. Metallic snake-embossed leather is even flashier paired with rhinestone embellishments, but it’s the low heel that puts these over the edge – in a good way.
At Saks Fifth Avenue for $325.
3) Vena Cava x Tenoversix Kat Lucite Heel: A smart little pump with a really witty heel. The chic-ness comes courtesy of the stubby, chunky shape, which allows you to fully appreciate the texture of the Lucite (and notice the visible screws!).
At Tenoversix for $172-$206 (currently available in red and black).
4) Prada Satin Peep-Toe Lucite-Heel Pumps: The trend just went classic, thanks to Prada’s enduring satin silhouette that feels just a touch retro – and imbues a hint of sexy irony.
On Bluefly for $503.99 (from $720).
5) Dries Van Noten Python-Patch Sandals: It doesn’t get better than this! A must-have blend of sunset-hued skin, tortoiseshell straps, and, the transparent cherry on top, an orange heel that glows like it’s lit from within.
Available in-store at Gimme Shoes only. Call 415-800-8992 for inquiries.
Photo Credit: Style.com / Tommy Ton