Get ready for a big year: the Dragon is the mightiest of all the signs in the Chinese zodiac. Starting on January 23rd, we usher in a new year. Think dominance, ambition, and drive. But most – and best – of all, the Year of the Dragon symbolizes good luck! Now that’s reason to celebrate, particularly by showing off a new bag to match the fresh start. According to Chinese superstition, you MUST wear something red and gold to usher in the new year for good luck. And what’s easier than carrying a red or gold to ensure you’re lucky every day of the year?! Here, my top bags sure to please the fierce dragon:
1) 3.1 Phillip Lim Abichi Leather Shoulder Bag: Welcome in the New Year with a bang by carrying super-shiny, ultra-slick red leather. This little jolt of gleam is sure to bring good luck – and attention – wherever you go. On Net-a-Porter for $475.
2) Edie Parker Edie Oval Clutch: What says “celebration” like gold confetti? Sparkle abounds on Edie Parker’s clutch, glistening like lucky golden nuggets. Hold this in one hand and a glass of Champagne in the other and toast to good fortune! At Barneys New York for $595.
3) Ragazze Ornamentali Nappa Boudoir Contempor Shoulder Bag: Red plus rose-gold equals double your fortuitousness. And lucky is the girl who carries Ragazze Ornamentali – their workmanship is impeccable and this timeless style will last into the next new year. On Luisa Via Roma for $2,403.
4) Derek Lam Albertine Clutch: Derek’s lucky charm seems to be an oversized tassel. He does the detail in perfect casual style, with grainy leather in a cheery hue and an asymmetrical zipper. At Barneys New York for $790.
5) Rochas Metallic Karina Tote: Keep the blues away all day long with an eye-catching metallic tote. It’s hard to take your eyes away from the gleaming texture of Rochas’ top handle, and the playful drawstring detail infuses a sense of kitsch. At Barneys New York for $1,525.