It’s not always all about animal prints! Printed bags are great when you’re eager to get playful with your look, and the latest releases prove that designers can get as frisky as the best of us. And sometimes even a little too sportive for some. Here, the top picks of the latest prints that march to the beat of their own designer.
1) Dolce & Gabbana Quilted Cotton and Raffia Top-Handle: Out of the vegetable garden and onto your arm! Dolce & Gabbana show off their sense of humor with their Spring 2012 collection, and challenge you to do the same with this eggplant-print purse. All-out novelty or fun conversation piece? You decide. On Luisa Via Roma for $976.
2) Marni Printed PVC and Leather Clutch: No assortment of “quirky” bags would be complete without a little Marni in the mix. This oversized, two-faced clutch is just that – an energetic mix of retro, tile-like graphics and kooky colors. On Net-a-Porter for $385.
3) Lanvin Printed Gems Cotton Tote: Normally, I like some actual rocks with my sparkle, but in the case of a basic, toss-and-go tote, Lanvin shows off a clever play on the concept of being decked in jewels. At Barneys New York for $850.
4) Theyskens’ Theory Anta Mini Shoulder Bag: I wouldn’t expect an abstract watercolor painting to translate fluidly to a daytime satchel, but Theyskens does his arts and crafts with unbothered style. At Barneys New York for $495.
5) Valentino Rockstud Panther-Print Calf-Hair Tote: And then there’s the queen of the jungle! Valentino’s trademark studs just got more rock ‘n’ roll, yet with this stripped-down panther-pattern, they somehow keep things as elegant as ever. On Net-a-Porter for $2,995.