Who says flat sandals have to be all earth mother or hippie chick? With electrifying splashes of DayGlo, a new breed of sandal is making a statement this spring, one that’s, in fact, not exactly new. These neon sandals are totally rad – and totally eighties. Wear them with super-tight, high-waisted jeans (fellow color enthusiast Christopher Kane’s latest will inspire fluorescent fever) and a pair of jet-black Ray Ban Warefarers for full retro satire. Just leave the scrunchie in the decade where it belongs!
1) McQ Alexander McQueen Zip Neon Thong Sandals: Hot pink and black is a classic eighties combo. These keep it classy with just a hint of wild color. On ShopBop for $415.
2) Jil Sander Tubular Sandals: Count on a minimalist designer to have a savvy way with lime-green, a hue that can easily go awry. The slight straps make it look thoroughly modern. On ShopBop for $550.
3) Stella McCartney Faux Patent-Leather and Cork Sandals: Juicy, high-shine watermelon gets a needed naturalistic edge thanks to an easy cork sole, and the classic buckle style makes for fifties meets eighties vintage flair. On Net-a-Porter for $410.
4) Tory Burch Aine Patent-Leather Thongs: Tory blends scorching neon patent-leather with her sense of Hamptons-ready prep by adding a weave of hemp-effect woven straw. On My Theresa for $315.
5) Dsquared2 Rubber Chain Flats: These hot orange sandals are like sophisticated jellies for adults. Combining a vague gladiator style, dressed-up chain detailing, and splash-able rubber, these are strictly for fun in the sun. On Luisa Via Roma for $218.