Who says a deluxe exotic has to be all fancy-schmancy? That’s a misconception that designers are out to banish this season. Python and crocodile skins have been whipped into shape, most literally speaking. Some of my new favorite exotic bags are sporty, with athletic and casual touches – like stripes, canvas, slick lines, and blocks of color – that turn luxury skin on its flexible head.
1) Lanvin Miss Sartorial Metallic Python Clutch: Addictive metallic skin gets revved up by a lightly athletic take on racing stripes. Va-va-vroom! On Net-a-Porter for $2,190.
2) Proenza Schouler PS1 Medium Canvas Printed Python Satchel: The tried and true PS1 is nearly unrecognizable in faded striped canvas. Chestnut python trim glams it up, but this bag is a scamp at heart. At Barneys New York for $1,825.
3) Nancy Gonzalez Crocodile Messenger Bag: This bag didn’t leave Kelly’s side all summer and for good reason: this croc is made to move. Now in textural taupe and gold, it’s the lushest take yet on the speedy messenger style. At Bergdorf Goodman for $2,400.
4) Diane von Furstenberg Sporty Drew Embossed Python Bucket Tote: Embossed leather still does the job of an exotic, especially when you’re considering a toss-around day tote. The hot-pink rolled handles introduce athletic edge. On ShopBop for $895.
5) Marc Jacobs Python Khaki Tote: Just a splash of flash makes this keenly colorblocked tote a sport-influenced winner. Marc Jacobs is back with stylish agility. At Barneys New York for $3,795.