You’ll find good use for a tote any time of year, but it’s the summer when the style really comes into play. Leisurely activities – plus, a more leisurely attitude to go along with them – makes the tote a bona fide staple, whether you’re enjoying the beach, traveling the world, or alas, commuting to the office. Here are my top picks for lounging and living it up.
1) Marni Edition Laser-Cut Leather Tote: Not strictly for the shores, this pretty peek-a-boo tote transitions into the city just fine, for a look of earthy air. On MyTheresa for $725.
2) Vanessa Bruno Sequined Cotton-Canvas Tote: Practical but not too practical. A little glitter is always in order, especially when it’s jazzing up the simplest of khaki canvases. On Net-a-Porter for $260.
3) MICHAEL Michael Kors Jet Set Leather and Rubber Tote: Don’t drown yourself in soggy swimwear, and, dear god, don’t use a plastic grocery bag to handle your dripping mess. This neon-green waterproof tote is your answer. On Net-a-Porter for $170.
4) Jimmy Choo Capri Small Glitter Straw Tote: For beachside, countryside or street-side, this is the only summer tote you’ll need. Straw and white leather keeps the mood light, and the structure keeps it smart. On Net-a-Porter for $895.
5) Valentino Rockstud Straw Tote: Sure, you wouldn’t take this treasure to the beach. For those who don’t do sand, surf, or pool but still want the airy look, look no further. At Bergdorf Goodman for $1,845.