Glance to the ranch for inspiration this season! The equestrian look is one that’s close to my heart – and my home. I live in horse country; the names of the streets in my neighborhood are Chuck Wagon, Buggy Whip, Saddleback, Flying Mane, Pinto…you get the idea.
Not that I dress in Ralph Lauren all the time, but suffice to say, I’m appreciative of the trend whenever it comes back around. Especially when it’s not too literal. These aren’t bags you would actually go riding with. Designers have appropriated the idea, so you can take them to the streets. And, of course, you must have the Hermès Paddock Selle saddle charm to top off the look (at Hermès for $620)
1) Ralph Lauren Collection Mini Suede Shoulder Bag: Naturally, it starts with the man who founded the trend. Lime-green throws this saddle bag right off its pony – in the best way possible.
On Net-a-Porter for $795.
2) Chloé Large Marcie Hobo: When is the last time a giant horseshoe looked this chic? Probably never. Chloé was smart enough to realize the curved shape suits a hobo perfectly.
At Bergdorf Goodman for $1,795.
3) Gucci Stirrup Medium Top-Handle Bag: Gucci is well-versed when it comes to injecting glamour into the horse-bit. Instead, this sleek bag toys with the idea of the stirrup, making a strap the clean focal point.
At Bergdorf Goodman for $2,390.
4) Vanessa Bruno Shoulder Bag: Woven detailing takes this pebbled-leather bag down into Santa Fe, for a rustic vibe that will work famously with chunky silver jewelry.
On ShopBop for $748.
5) Proenza Schouler Evening Clutch: Giddy up into the evening with this triangular clutch, a sophisticated take on earthy brown for the cool night rider.
At Barneys New York for $1,175.
6) Jerome Dreyfuss Python Small Momo Saddle Bag: Who are you calling a cowgirl?! The saddle bag has gotten a chic urban makeover in jet-black python.
At Barneys New York for $735.