Gingham is a natural choice for summer prints (and has been for years, from little girls to sixties’ mods), but these aren’t your typical square-dancing skirts. Slightly abstracted, mutated, and impressionistic checks bring a more sophisticated feel to these skirts and dresses. Think sweet country girl living it up in the city.
And if you’re not after a total commitment, opt for Miu Miu’s taffeta slingbacks (on Net-a-Porter for $595). They deliver a punch of gingham and maintain a sense of irony – because you’re not really going to the county fair!
1. Marc Jacobs Gingham Organza Dress: Marc’s Spring collection revolved around the rockabilly square dance, and this ombré dress sums it up. A little down home and a lot rock goddess. At Bergdorf Goodman for $2,500.
2. Nina Ricci Gingham Dress: Gingham hits the city pavement in this mirco print. A folded waist gives the appearance of a coordinated pencil-skirt and scoop-necked top pairing. Very Kim Novak in Vertigo. At Barneys New York for $1,590.
3. Theory Check-Print Modal and Cotton-Blend Shirt: When checks have been washed out and watercolored, they take on an entirely new meaning. Theory gets it just right. On Net-a-Porter for $285.
4. Boy. By Band of Outsiders Knee Skirt: The long, lightly pleated swing cut might say country meadows, but this faded gingham transcends categories. At Barneys New York for $555.
5. Marc Jacobs Gingham Dress: Marc does it again, proving he has the best variations this season. Think of this sheath as the demure sister of his avant-garde ombré dress. At Barneys New York for $995.