What once sounded like an oxy moron to bag snobs is now a wardrobe staple. These days, I can’t even imagine living without my crossbody bags! But it’s still hard to find styles suitable for formal daytime events, ones that evoke ladylike polish, relaxed elegance, and a dash of hands-free convenience. Here, the top crossbodys that can move from festive brunch to fancy luncheon to afternoon cocktails:
1. Victoria Beckham Tri-Tone Leather Shoulder Bag: Victoria’s slick aesthetic translates perfectly to a satchel that’s as fun as it is smart. Navy and tan is classic, and a splash of orange via the gusset makes for instant vivacity. On Net-a-Porter for $3,150.
2. Jason Wu Kate Floral-Print Leather Crossbody Bag: Floral gets the monochrome treatment for savvy, offbeat take. Feminine with a dash of hip flavor is just what you want in a ladylike crossbody. On Net-a-Porter for $1,675.
3. Marni Wingtip Messenger: A cheery take on the spectator style, this slim masculine-meets-feminine bag will fit right in – and stand out – at all kinds of daytime affairs. At Barneys New York for $880.
4. Acne Stella Washed-Leather Shoulder Bag: The ultra-demure size and grown-up palette of this petite crossbody make this subtle chain-strap bag a delicate choice. On Net-a-Porter for $390.
5. Jason Wu Jourdan Crossbody Bag: Jason does it again! The fine delicacy of the detailed hardware makes this an instant lady-who-lunches favorite, especially in pure ivory. At Kirna Zabête for $1,595.