I can’t help it. I’m getting all nostalgic for the early nineties today! Blame WWD and their article on how grunge is returning big time for fall. I was there the first time, scampering around the college campus in Doc Martens and layered slipdresses (with a Chanel bag on my arm at all times! I never said I was an actual kinderwhore!), so I’m not exactly all about going back to glamorous ragamuffin dressing. But I am feeling some of the of-the-moment shoes inspired by the era! There is something to be said for how much I adored my chunky platform Mary Janes…
1. Dolce & Gabbana Leather and Mesh Biker Boots: Forget old-fashioned Frye. Take your biker boot with a splash of sex appeal. See-through mesh puts a new spin on the mannish look so you won’t be too retro.
On Net-a-Porter for $875.
2. Chloé Multi-Strap Mary Jane Pump: Just enough chunk, a girlish round toe, and straps to spare turn a demure concept into a dangerous-looking shoe.
At Barneys New York for $1,195.
3. Alexander Wang Andrea Boot: Go grunge and you’ve got to have some Wang in the mix. Think combat boot redux with these sexy, slitted, laced-up flats. Offbeat grommets bring extra edge.
At Barneys New York for $625.
4. Marc by Marc Jacobs Brown Wertmuller Wedges: Paying faint homage to the Mary Jane with chunk to spare, these will fit in with beaten-up Levi’s and schoolgirl kilts alike. Wooly socks not included.
On Ssense for $380.
5. Dr. Martens Floral-Print Leather Lace-Up Boots: And then there are the boots that started it all! In cheeky, girly floral this lighter take brings a sense of humor to a heavy look.
On Luisa via Roma for $244.