Vladimir Nabokov’s Lolita, which was first published back in 1955, might still be one of the most controversial novels of all time, but I’d like to look at it from a lighter perspective. The lusted-after young lady had a great eye for accessories! While heart-shaped glasses might be the item most synonymous with the bubblegum-smacking, gossip rag-reading “nymphet,” the piece that was actually described in the book? Her little red purse she never wanted to put down! In honor of Dolores Haze, a pick of the scarlet bags she would spring for right now:
1. Delvaux Brillant MM Handbag: Outrageous and ladylike at the same time, who knew cherry vinyl would suit Delvaux so well?! Lolita would have gone nuts for this glossy, jelly-like finish.
At Barneys New York for $750.
2. Jimmy Choo Rebel Leather Shoulder Bag: There’s no doubt about it: mischievous Lolita was a rebel herself. This little coral-red bag is neat and perky, while the eyelet-detailed strap reveals a wild side.
On My Theresa for $895.
3. Christian Louboutin Carrie Medium Shoulder Bag: Retro and fresh, this structured shoulder style gets amped up by a rich gold-tone frame. A smooth leather flap and thick strap keeps it smart and simple.
At Barneys New York for $1,595.
4. Balenciaga Leather Accordion Clutch: This deep-crimson clutch has a forties-inspired silhouette and modern hardware, which signals a refreshing new mood for Balenciaga.
On My Theresa for $1,275.
5. Dolce & Gabbana Miss Kendra Tote: This aspiring starlet loved lying out in the sun. A woven, lacquered plastic tote takes the look of straw and glams it up with a great, big wink.
On Luisa via Roma for $1,051.