Lace is not going anywhere for the summer. Don’t think of it as a trend anymore but a classic fabric that can be as romantic, edgy, ladylike, or carefree as you want it to be. It all depends on the color (white is pure and classic; red says you’re a wild thing) and the silhouette. So will you take your lace naughty, nice, or somewhere in between this season?
1. DKNY Stretch-Lace Dress: An instantly enduring classic that works as well for daytime as evening (the white lining appropriates it). Just switch your chain-strap bag to a clutch and wedge to a stiletto, and you’ll be good to go.
On Net-a-Porter for $345.
2. Preen White and Pink Tilly Lace Skirt: Girly hues gone wild with this sheer pencil-turned-miniskirt. A frilly baby-peplum is the finishing touch. Wear this with hardcore jewels for maximum spice.
On Ssense for $2,175.
3. Matthew Williamson Rainbow Satin and Crochet-Appliquéd Lace Dress: Lace is sizzling, not sweet, in coral-red with sheer sleeves. Baroque appliqués introduce a new dimension for a transfixing effect.
On Net-a-Porter for $2,675.
4. Lover Wiccan Lace Mini-Dress: Super-short and strong-shouldered, lace is looking bold and brazen. Think Victorian goes burlesque! Will you dare to bare in this not-so-innocent take?
On Net-a-Porter for $1,200.
5. Diane von Furstenberg Johnseen Floral Lace Jumpsuit: Jumpsuits can be tricky to pull off, so if you’re going to do it, just go all out. Pale turquoise is lighthearted and this easy cut is equally fun.
On Shopbop for $385.