Are there two more deeply intelligent and influential designers of the past century than Elsa Schiaparelli and Miuccia Prada? So it’s only logical that for Schiaparelli and Prada: Impossible Conversations, the Met Gala’s glamorous attendees brought out all the stops, with looks that ran the gamut from the fiercely elegant to the just plain fierce to the bravely eccentric. Here, my top looks of the decadent evening:
1. Rooney Mara: In her trademark Givenchy by Riccardo Tisci, Rooney is my favorite look of the night! Edgy, dangerous, elegant, classic: in lace and leather, she delivered it all.
2. Cate Blanchett: Befeathered, jet-black Alexander McQueen is fierce and strong, and I expected no less from Cate the Great.
3. Christina Ricci: Wrapped in Thakoon, these wild folds of fabric made for the most artistic and beautifully structured gown of the night.
4. Coco Rocha: This wasn’t just the most youthful color combo, Coco’s Givenchy pantsuit, Sergio Rossi pumps, and Kotur clutch measured up to the bravest outfit of the evening.
5. Nina Dobrev: In Donna Karan Atelier, this is exactly what a star should look like: regal, sparkling, and drop-dead gorgeous.
6. Carey Mulligan: Carey beckoned like a space-age siren in her fish scale-inspired Prada dress. Light-catching in gunmetal and gold, this glam mermaid wisely went for a classy updo and simplistic pumps.
7. Camilla Belle: Camilla is a thirties-era stunner in slinky Ralph Lauren. Her skinned glowed as much as her dress, and a bold Bordeaux lip brought a modern edge to a timeless femme-fatale look.
8. Emma Stone: The perky redhead looked like a scarlet princess in this ornate Lanvin cocktail look made especially for her by Alber Elbaz.