Buy now, save all year long. A seasoned shopper knows how to, well, plan out her seasons. Being smart and savvy when it comes to stocking up on fine designer merch means knowing what to buy on sale now to carry you through from summer to fall and back again. Think powerful basics you won’t want to kick to the curb the instant new stuff hits the shelves. Ignore the neon brights and novelty bags for now, unless you have the budget to splurge (in that case, skip to the next entry on full-price Pre-Fall bags), and invest in key pieces that look as smart as you are.
1. Marni Woven Leather Tote ($1,461, from $2,435): Just funky enough to make you look twice, Marni blends crimson and two shades of dark brown into a tile-like, geometric weave.
2. Marc Jacobs Violet Color-Blocked Leather Shoulder Bag ($1,116.50, from $1595): I’ve adored this tri-color shoulder style since the day it came out, which goes to show it’s built to outlast the colorblock trend.
3. Jil Sander Address Grained-Leather Shoulder Bag ($875, from $1,250): This is one of the poshest “addresses” in town, wherever you live! Simple, classic, and quintessentially Jil Sander.
4. Alexander McQueen Padlock Ocelot-Print Canvas and Leather Bucket Bag ($885.50, from $1,265): McQueen’s ferocious yet neutral ocelot pattern is one of the best animal prints to date, and this comfy carryall is sure to enjoy endless wear.
5. MICHAEL Michael Kors Benbrooke Studded Leather Shoulder Bag ($150, from $250): Seriously?! I can hardly find a pair of jeans for this price. Gunmetal studs, just a hint of chain, and black leather is a combination for the ages.