Penelope Cruz was the embodiment of unfussy, pregnant-chic as she recently dined out with hubby, Javier Bardem in Madrid. Her free-flowing Proenza Schouler maxi dress (she actually knotted it in the back for casual comfort) proves you don’t have to shop only at maternity stores to enjoy dresses that won’t cramp your tummy – or your style. Take a cue from the soon-to-be mother-of-two and go long and flowy, then wear them long after your pregnancy is over.
1. Proenza Schouler Coral-Striped Spaghetti-Strap Maxi Dress: This summer, Proenza nailed breezy-sundress style. This flowing skirt looks sleek and streamlined.
On BlueFly for $1,328 (from $1,890).
2. Chinti and Parker Strapless Bamboo-Jersey Maxi-Dress: All-natural and all-easy, this coral dress slips right on and stays put, thanks to elasticated trim at the top.
On Net-a-Porter for $270.
3. Blu Moon Long Embroidered Halter Dress: Go earth mother with this beach-perfect halter. White may be virginal, but ivory embroidery spices it up. Bare feet welcome.
On Shopbop for $264.
4. Twelfth St. by Cynthia Vincent High Low Cascade Dress: The cut mimics Penelope’s Proenza sundress, while the vivid, orbital print shows you’re a free-spirited mommy.
On Shopbop for $326.
5. Alice by Temperley Silk Maxi Dress: Indian-inspired and super-saturated, this is for the jetset mom who adores luxurious unconstraint – and getting noticed.
On Net-a-Porter for $545.