The Wild West is turning up as the inspiration for a barnyard’s worth of fall shoes, with cowboy influence turning up on pumps and boots from designers high and low. Some are sure better than others – subtle and muted is the way to go if you’d like to avoid looking like you’re going line-dancing – but I’m still on the fence. What do you think: should these styles roam free or do they need to be reigned in?
1. Jeffrey Campbell Cline Pumps: Laser-cut flames take a clear cue from Prada’s Spring collection, but these lack the Miuccia’s coolly irreverent effect.
On Shopbop for $155.
2. Miu Miu Western Printed Boots: Speaking of Miuccia, she’s gone overboard with these kerchief-print shockers. I would love to see the brave cowgirl who can pull these off with finesse.
On My Theresa for $600 (from $1,199).
3. Michael Kors Western Boot With Calf Hair: Spots and leather usually makes for a flawless combo, and these booties could still look cute if styled to perfection. But are they worth the effort?
At Neiman Marcus for $1,295.
4. Marc Jacobs White Cowboy Boot: Marc’s got the wit to make this work, but the question is, do you? These would look best paired with translucent gingham out of his own collection.
On Ssense for $498 (from $995).
5. Charlotte Olympia Cordelia Suede and Leather Over-the-Knee Boots: You know I think Charlotte can do no wrong – and her take on the West isn’t wrong, per se. I’m digging the gold sole, but the bulk of the body might prove hard to manage.
On My Theresa for $825 (from $1,636).