You’re nobody’s servant, naturally. However, that doesn’t mean the frilly ensemble of the stereotypical (and usually in costume form) French maid doesn’t tempt you to pick up a feather duster. But instead of being so literally about her black-and-white getup, why not choose from a new array of two-tone frocks that will have them waiting on you hand and foot?
1. Moschino Polka-Dot Silk Dress: A dress this sweet means you’re hiding sass and plenty of it. Show some leg and keep your collar buttoned up for a deceptively proper neckline.
On Net-a-Porter for $2,350.
2. Clements Ribeiro Kaitia Pleated Dress: Lighten up the evening with this graceful number, then show a racier side when you turn around and expose a back of black lace.
On Net-a-Porter for $1,790.
3. Lisa Perry Checkerboard Dress: Mod girls will love Lisa’s ode to Twiggy, complete with a pop-arty checkerboard pattern and chunky white zipper.
At Barneys New York for $1,095.
4. Narciso Rodriguez Paneled Silk-Satin and Crepe Dress: Here it is: quintessential Narciso. He has been doing clean lines and pared-down color for years. Somehow it looks fresher than ever now.
On Net-a-Porter for $1,695.
5. Ohne Titel Flock-Print Dress: Just the right amount of skin-skimming reveal and graphic-print mystery, this reminds us just how intriguing the black and white dress can be.
At Barneys New York for $740.