One of my shoe-snob rules of thumb: as tempting as it is to stock up strictly on decadent heels, you should always have a pair of flat boots that can go the distance in style and comfort. This season is all about the flat boot, so your choices need not be compromised for the sake of saving your back. Rejoice and walk easy!
1. Rick Owens Metallic Leather Mid-Calf Boots: Rick Owens is the king of tough-girl leather, and these space-age moto boots reveal his reign shows no sign of slowing down.
On Net-a-Porter for $1,660.
2. Christian Louboutin Egoutina 70 Spiked Suede Knee Boots
: If spiked-out, sky-high pumps are leaving you itching for something different, look no further than their flipside: knee-boots made for walking.
On Net-a-Porter for $1,495.
3. Alexander Wang Dioni Leather Motorcycle Boots: Wang takes a surprisingly gentler approach with this streamlined yet strapped-out almond toe, ideal for super-skinny jeans.
At Saks Fifth Avenue for $695.
4. Giambattista Valli Leopard-Print Pony Hair and Leather Knee-High Motorcycle Boots: With metal and pony-hair, these are too hot to be true. Who needs heels when Valli has your back in flats?
At Saks Fifth Avenue for $1,250.
5. Henry Beguelin Calf Hair Knee Boot: A polished yet rustic take on the riding boot, these set a neutral, natural palette for your fall.
At Neiman Marcus for $1,345.