While they have been around since the Victorian era, the Chelsea boot is feeling more current than ever. Originally designed for horseback-riding, the elastic-paneled bootie is now strictly for hitting the streets. The foundation of this walkable style may scream function, but yellow-gold leathers, intriguing heels, and sky-high silhouettes give the Chelsea a whole new persona.
1. 3.1 Phillip Lim Delia Metallic Textured-Leather Chelsea Boots: We know from his coveted Pashli bag that Lim has a way with texturized metallics, but what make this boot are the sharp point and contrasting panel.
On Net-a-Porter for $625.
2. Topshop Anarchy Western Chelsea Boots: With a sleek yet sturdy design, these Topshop booties pull off a look that’s far more expensive than their frugal price tag.
At Topshop for $150.
3. Burberry Shoes & Accessories Brogue-Detailed Chelsea Wedge Ankle Boots: This combines a few of my favorite things: the brogue meets the wedge with impossible insouciance, packing on height and high style.
On Net-a-Porter for $695.
4. Marc by Marc Jacobs Chelsea Boot: Jade booties can be a hard sell, but toned down in soft suede and an equally easy shape, these put the “new” in neutral.
At Barneys New York for $395.
5. Alexander Wang Chelsea Ankle Boot: As if Wang’s funky heel cutout wasn’t cool enough, his architectural style now comes in leopard-print calf-hair. Now I really can’t say no!
At Kirna Zabête for $765.