Hear “appliqué” and chances are a bouquet is on the brain. This season, accented bags (by definition, appliqué means “cutout decoration”) are thinking outside the flower shop. From knotted brocade to the Man in the Moon to the City of Lights, petals have taken a backseat – and if you’re going to stick to florals, go all-out with your appliqués. Don’t be shy. Apply yourself to a decorated bag that has its own take on what it means to be embellished.
1. Alexander McQueen Flower-Appliquéd Silk-Brocade Box Clutch: Just flowers? I don’t think so. McQueen’s ice-princess clutch of organza and beaded crepe is dangerously pretty.
On Net-a-Porter for $2,795.
2. Christian Louboutin 20th Anniversary Artemis Paris Embellished Leather Shoulder Bag: It’s not like you thought Le Louboutin would go halfway. This collector’s piece puts the Paris skyline right on your shoulder. There’s one way to make Paris come to you!
On Net-a-Porter for $3,995.
3. Bottega Veneta Passamaneria Clutch: The appliqué for the snob who hates appliqués. A knotted swirl of passamaneria brocade is a queenly complement to woven cobra.
At Barneys New York for $4,500.
4. Marni Appliquéd Suede Bag: Shimmy and shake this leafy confection into your next cocktail party and you’ll be the toast of the evening. I bet you didn’t think Latex could look this festive (I sure didn’t!).
On Net-a-Porter for $1,400.
5. Charlotte Olympia Lunatic Bag: Calling all night owls and daydreamers. “Whimsy” ought to be Charlotte’s middle name. This sweet-faced half-moon will be your new bestie come midnight.
At Matches Fashion for $704.