Wearing a cape as outerwear has been a strong trend for a few seasons. But this season, it’s all about the cape as a top! A complete redefinition of the piece that offers full coverage (minus the bulk!) just in time for winter. It turns out, sometimes fashion can be sensible. Is there anything worse than being outside in the freezing cold, while you’re simultaneously burning up underneath all of your layers? In spite of the new sleekness, the cape top still incorporates our favorite feature – a flattering silhouette that hides everything you want to keep under wraps. After all, there are a lot of holiday meals to come!
1. DKNY Lace Tunic Cape: This lace cape top is my absolute favorite! The classic cape has a bulky shape and is made from heavy material, but constructing one out of lace is so feminine and delicate. Plus, it comes with a black camisole.
On ShopBop for $395.
2. Rachel Roy Petal Cape Blouse: Rachel Roy’s petal cape blouse also takes top honors for a delicate look (it’s lined in satin!).
On ShopBop for $348.
3. findersKEEPERS Forgetful Heart Cape Jacket: Capes are generally winter wear, but this one perfects the seasonal tone by frosting the garment in gold sequins – perfect for holiday parties!
On Shopbop for $218.
4. Thakoon Addition Leather Trim Crop Cape: Thakoon’s leather-trimmed cropped cape can be worn as a jacket or as a top.
On Shopbop for $520.
5. Ted Baker Cape Knit: If you’re looking for a traditional cape, this is the one! A black sweater version with a high neckline, updated with metal buttons on the sleeve.
On Asos for $209.32.