This isn’t a new-shape alert. Just look around: a tote with flared (and functional) gussets is just the current shape being done by all. And why not? It’s a basic tote that’s as versatile as they come, and the recent addition of handy pockets on the gusset is a big bonus. (This style also converts brilliantly to a diaper bag with the right organizational pouch for the inside (Anya Hindmarch has one). Depending on how much flair and trim your heart desires, there is one for every budget and plenty of options along the way.
1. Diane von Furstenberg On-The-Go Leather and Metallic Canvas Trapeze Bag: The contrast of woven metallic canvas brings even more depth to this easy-access tote. On Net-a-Porter for $295.
2. Salvatore Ferragamo Arianna Snake-Side Tote Bag: Who can resist a couple splashes of watersnake? Especially when they serves as zippered pockets on a chicly structured day bag. At Neiman Marcus for $2,600.
3. Reed Krakoff Atlantique Tote Bag: Reed was one of the first to cultivate this shape, and now he’s revamped the Atlantique in summer woven raffia. A dash of orange brings instant pizazz. At Neiman Marcus for $1,590.
4. Michael Kors Gia Textured-Leather Tote: Michael Kors has a knack for making everything easy, and the Gia is no exception. Croc-stamped details are enough to separate it from the pack. On Net-a-Porter for $995.
5. Christian Louboutin Farida Paris Spiked Leather Tote: Go big or go home. Louboutin says it with spikes; in nude, these studs are thoroughly uptown punk. On Net-a-Porter for $2,395.