Some say it’s not officially summer until they’ve hit the beach and jumped in the water. I’m not one of those people. Instead, I believe you simply can’t have summer without a striped bag. Not only are stripes bigger and better than ever this year (thanks largely to Marc Jacobs’ and Michael Kors’ stripe-tastic Spring 2013 collections), they never go out of fashion. Not strictly for seafarers: on land, they instantly translate to effortless style.
1. MICHAEL Michael Kors Striped Saffiano-Leather Pouch: Kors is the king of nautical-meets-jet-set glamour, and this pouch-turned-clutch is not only a steal, it’s a must for long Hamptons weekends. On Net-a-Porter for $100.
2. Marc Jacobs Striped Leather Shopper: From the man who started it all this season, candy-cane stripes with a summery spin. Juicy coral and stitched leather is a delightful combo for an oversized city-to-sand tote. On Net-a-Porter for $2,495.
3. Christian Louboutin Padam Tote: Layers of wrapped stripes over clear-pink PVC amount to a seriously sexy effect. This flrty-fun beach tote is hotter than the midday sun. At Christian Louboutin for $1,495.
4. Ralph Lauren Rickie Striped Canvas and Leather Tote: The Rickie bag is an American classic – and so is Ralph Lauren. Nobody does navy-and-cream stripes like him. Bonus patriotic points for the shock of red lining. On Luisa via Roma for $1,340.
5. Marni Woven Raffia Tote Bag: And this is why I love Marni! You can’t help but grin at the sight of bright, bouncy raffia woven to imperfect perfection. At Browns Fashion for $790.