Coco Chanel’s quilted flap bags were inspired by tile floors in the nunnery where she was raised (it’s also where she learned to sew). Since the original, the quilted handbag hasn’t just become a classic: it’s one of the most iconic, statement-making bags of all time. This season, quilting stays strong, while receiving a modern makeover. Whether it’s just a touch or an allover quilt, these twists introduce something for everyone.
1. Givenchy Lucrezia Quilted Medium Satchel Bag: Givenchy can make just about anything look badass, including ladylike quilting. Just a panel evokes biker-babe edge.
At Bergdorf Goodman for $2,300.
2. Diane von Furstenberg Lytton Quilted Leather Clutch Bag: Quilting looks oh-so cute when it’s on a small scale. Offset with naturalistic twig closure, it feels fresh and original.
At Bergdorf Goodman for $325.
3. Marc Jacobs Single Quilted Denim Shoulder Bag: Marc has been reprising the quilted bag for some time now. I’m feeling this nod to the ‘70s, with its dark denim and contrasting tan leather.
At Saks Fifth Avenue for $895.
4. Jimmy Choo Bex Quilted Shoulder Bag: Up is down, down is up! The two-way zip details on this convertible clutch-to-shoulder bag add wit and playfulness.
At Saks Fifth Avenue for $1,475.
5. Jason Wu Daphne Quilted Crossbody Bag: Wu’s stitching takes the quilt to an intricate level. In royal purple, his play on geometry really stands out.
At Saks Fifth Avenue for $1,595.