You know you need it, and you know the one you probably already own is worn to bits. Despite what many designers seem to think, most of us just want an easy daily bag to throw on our shoulders without a moment of thought. Something classic without feeling fancy or austere; nothing too specific, trendy, or overdone; and something that goes with absolutely everything, from sweet day dresses and ballet flats to ripped-up jeans and moto boots.
1. Bottega Veneta Intrecciato Small Leather Shoulder Bag: As timeless as can be and as simple as it is hand-touched: Bottega’s weave makes for a slim shoulder bag that will never become obsolete. On Net-a-Porter for $1,250.
2. Gucci Soho Camera Textured Leather Shoulder Bag: While this camera bag may not have you saying, “cheese!” it will certainly make you smile. So quintessentially Gucci, it reads both vintage and brand-new at once. On Net-a-Porter for $895.
3. Coach Legacy Flight Bag: This simplistic and quintessentially Coach style is one of their few bags I would consider carrying. It’s just so easy, I can’t resist. At Coach for $228.
4. Rebecca Minkoff Sunnies Bag: When it comes to basics made special, Minkoff is a master. Quiet details like a front pocket, braided straps, and a hanging tassel elevate this one. At Rebecca Minkoff for $395.
5. Loeffler Randall The Shooter Bag: If you tend to pack light, go for streamlined and structured. This canteen-style bucket has a subtle safari vibe, but it’s neutral enough to go with everything. On Shopbop for $350.