Before we get too caught up with the Fall/Winter season’s tweeds, wools, knits, dark leathers, and heavy textures, let’s take a minute to appreciate the unconventional. There’s something to be said for the element of surprise (got to keep ‘em on their toes!), and nothing will catch onlookers off-guard like a bright, perky bag right about now.
Colors that speak of spring’s floral bouquets and summer’s hot neons offer shock and awe when paired with your opaque tights, knee-high boots, and fur-trimmed motorcycle jackets. Plus, they’re major mood-boosters. Just let your bag serve as the single pop of big color, and you’ll look ahead of the curve, rather than far out of your time zone.
1. Proenza Schouler PS1 Large Chain Leather Shoulder Bag: A splash of Caribbean aqua is always refreshing. And hey, if you can’t go away for Resort season, then channel a vacay with your bag! On My Theresa for $882.
2. Balenciaga Tube XS: Miniature size and a wallop of scalding orange-red is the perfect way to inject a little poolside-ready hue into your wardrobe without making a big commitment. At Barneys New York for $1,075.
3. Fendi Cross-Body Fleece Bag: Furry fleece the color of a tropical-punch cocktail just might be the most unexpected of all. Fendi’s sense of humor (and leather-woven chain-strap) makes this one irresistible. On Matches Fashion for $1,563.
4. Sophie Hulme Leather Tote: At first glance, this pop of color reads “summer in South Beach,” but think again. A structured tote like this will look offbeat and totally chic with monochrome black and sharp ankle boots. On NET-A-PORTER for $965.
5. Alexander McQueen New Padlock Medium Satchel Bag: For those who crave more of a compromise, this shade of pink is just deep enough to keep you in the fall mood – and perk you up in the meantime. At Bergdorf Goodman for $1,565.