Ladies, put away your crop tops and micro-minis. Even shelve your sensual lace pieces for the time being. There’s a new approach to sheer in town: the current way to show off skin is through a suggestive veil of mesh.
While actual slivers of skin are in-your-face and lace reads overtly girly (or womanly, for that matter), mesh offers an alternative: sporty, laidback sex appeal. It speaks to the ongoing athletic trend, whether set against Christopher Kane’s kooky embroidery or in the form of cool cocktail attire.
Top 5 Mesh Musts
1. TNTees Dodo Mesh-Paneled Cotton-Fleece Sweatshirt: Get a jump on Alexander Wang’s mesh-accented Spring 2014 collection with this Alex-esque, after-hours sweatshirt. On NET-A-PORTER for $300.
2. Victoria Beckham Mesh-Trimmed Silk and Wool-Blend Dress: Victoria gives her classic form-enhancing silhouette a twist, courtesy of show-off cap-sleeves and flirty side-paneling. On NET-A-PORTER for $2,350.
3. Christopher Kane Black Embroidered Sheer Crackle Clutch Kane’s offbeat, artistic motif is rapidly becoming a must-have pattern of the season. Especially laid over sheer nude mesh. On Ssense for $560.
4. Alaïa Suede and Mesh Ankle Boots: A strappy yet full-coverage bootie is sure to effortlessly transition from season to season, thanks to mesh-paneling. On NET-A-PORTER for $1,575.
5. Elizabeth and James Suna Mesh-Trimmed Jersey Skirt: Out of the office and onto the scene: the black pencil skirt gets a coy update with dynamic stripes of jersey and mesh. On NET-A-PORTER for $295.
Top 5 Frugal Options Under $300
1. Schutz Eshana Mesh Sandals: Notice the similarity to their pricier counterpart: these revealing slingbacks manage to get the job done. On Shopbop for $200.
2. Kenzo Mesh Logo Clutch: You don’t have to wear it to get in on the mesh trend. Keep your essentials on full view with this versatile pouch. On Farfetch for $81.
3. Cynthia Rowley Mesh Combo Circle Skirt: Edgy and A-line: this lady-meets-tramp skirt is the best of both worlds. On Shopbop for $285.
4. Kaelen Mesh Raglan Tee: Go big or go home! Pair this with a sports bra for an easy approach or layer it over something sweeter for a risqué look. On Shopbop for $170.
5. Torn by Ronny Kobo Lourdes Mesh Dress: Hot night out? Flaunt what you’ve got without putting it all out there with this super-modern LBD. On Shopbop for $276.