It’s funny how your eye (and taste) changes with age and time. As it goes with foods (just try giving an eight-year-old me foie gras or caviar!), our penchant for certain visual combinations evolves and changes with the years. I remember back when I thought black and gold was too mature for me. I was in college, it was the ‘90s, and I wanted nothing to do with the flashy excess of the ‘80s. How far I’ve come!
Cut to late-2013, and I’m now addicted to this rich and luxe pairing, as evident by my recent Instagram posts, from my Linda Farrow sunnies-and-Hermès shake-up to my current Vita Fede bracelet extravaganza. These five black and gold bags make the obsession official:
1. Alexander McQueen De Manta Embellished Silk-Satin Clutch: This is a classic, time-defying style that only gets more elegant and origami-esque the more I admire it. Crystal acorns and chain-trimmed oak leaves enhance the effect. On NET-A-PORTER for $976.50 (from $1,395).
2. Edie Parker Jean Confetti Striped Clutch Bag: Bring the confetti to the party, no vacuum required! Cheerful sparkle meets Art Deco lines on slick acrylic. At Neiman Marcus for $1,195.
3. Saint Laurent Monogramme Leather Bag:: I can’t decide why I love this bag: the way it harks back to the Yves age of Saint Laurent or the insanely and effortlessly chic combination of gold metal and black leather. I guess it’s both reasons! On Luisa via Roma for $2,550.
4. Loeffler Randall Minaudière: Polka dots are always playful. Oversized in metallic gold they are downright delightful on this frugal-snob find. On Zappos Couture for $205 (from $295).
5. Reed Krakoff Boxer Micro Shoulder Bag: This isn’t your typical gold-on-black shoulder bag. But then again, nothing Reed does is typical. Metallic lizard-print suede is just divine. At Bergdorf Goodman for $763 (from $1,090).