I have an unabashed love of anything pink. After giving birth, I carried a pink diaper bag, even though I’d had a boy (What? He wasn’t the one carrying it – I was). I don’t have daughters; it’s my biggest regret in life…So I painted my laundry room pink, complete with giant pink Pottery Barn girls’ chandelier.
Pink wasn’t always “just for girls.” Regarded as a lighter shade of red, the color was worn by men in Europe for hundreds of years, especially by war heroes upon homecoming. Blue, on the other hand, was donned by women, as Cleopatra thought it showed purity of heart. It wasn’t until the 1920s when hospitals in the U.S. decided to differentiate boys and girls with blue and pink blankets and tags. I told the boy this story when he said kids made fun of him for liking pink (Can you blame him? It’s all he saw growing up). And now he declares his love of pink with pride.
In the honor of all the boys – and snobs! – who love pink, I’m pulling them all out, from pastel pink to neon, for the best of the season:
1. Balenciaga Drape-Front Blouse: The combination of the color and the delicate folds adds up to an air of soft mystery pink rarely creates. At MATCHESFASHION.COM for $995.
2. Balenciaga Tube Pochette Envelope Clutch: Too good to be real yet not saccharine or artificial, this sugar-pale hue is to die for. Especially with such elegant details. At MATCHESFASHION.COM for $895.
3. Gianvito Rossi Napa-Leather Mules: Suddenly, the supremely simplistic mule (of ‘90s-era minimalism) feels fabulously fresh again. I credit the sweet hue. At MATCHESFASHION.COM for $739.
4. Elizabeth and James Leather Shorts: Leather shorts just received a perfect spring upgrade, thanks to a sporty, track-runner cut and a color that’s anything but tomboyish. On thecorner.com for $440.
5. Jimmy Choo Abel Leather Pumps: Can you say classic? These pristine pumps are too perfect – and too feminine – for words. On NET-A-PORTER for $575.