Ethnic, tribal, exotic, folkloric: whatever you call it, far-off flair is a recurring theme as designers plunge into Resort and look forward to Spring. While some bags lean towards kitschy and over-the-top, when done right, they exude a well-balanced vibe I think of as ethno-chic. 2014 brings a new slew of bags with earthy pizzazz. The trick is either in the attitude, like Givenchy’s sense of irreverence, or the details, via those on the delicately embroidered bags of Jimmy Choo and Anya Hindmarch.
1. Alexander McQueen Floral-Print Long Knuckle-Duster Clutch Bag: Time to head east! This rustic floral pattern sports a hefty dose of Chinoiserie influence. At Neiman Marcus for $1,995.
2. Givenchy Antigona Tote: Tisci’s ferocious mash-up of two wild characters, the tribal warrior princess and Japanese animé fighter makes for the ethno-centric print of the season. This collision of two totally different worlds is also my favorite of the bunch. To be available at Givenchy for $1,085.
3. Anya Hindmarch Nevis Leather-Trimmed Straw Tote: Needlework embellishments pose a nod to pin art, imbuing a touch of Native American flair into your preppy straw tote. On NET-A-PORTER for $795.
4. Jimmy Choo Farrah White Embroidered-Leather Tote Bag: A bold, abstract pattern of cross-stitched color lends flirty, ethnic flavor to your bright-white vacation staple. At Jimmy Choo for $3,250.
5. Maison Scotch Leather Cross Body Bag: The subtlest – and most frugal – of the bunch feels crisp in black and white, while a simple weave speaks of far-off Indian bazaars. On Shopbop for $195.