Barneys sales are the best, hands down. I was just at the Madison Avenue store and got a pair of Céline sandals that I can’t seem to take off my feet. Successful sale shopping takes some strategizing: a sale represents the close of season and the start of the next (as stores make room for new merchandise), but you don’t want to shop for the last season. Shop with the next in mind to get the most bang out of your sale buck.
1. Narciso Rodriguez Colorblock Python Shoulder Bag:The sharp union of black and white is always in season. Carry this partially python piece with your crisp and crinkled linens now, then change it up with your furs in the winter. For $759, from $1,895.
2. Fendi Calf-Hair Cow-Print Baguette Bag:The original “It” bag in calf hair?! This will take you through so many seasons for years to come, and in spotted pale blue (so light it’s almost white) with orange lining, it’s neutral with a cool twist. For $919, from $2,300.
3. Belstaff Nottingham 38 Shoulder Bag:I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: Belstaff is the most under-appreciated brand of the moment. Their leathers are supremely good, and so are their timeless styles. Grab this practical hobo in classic biker blue. For $599, from $1,495.
4. The Row Python Classic Baguette Clutch:If a sexy exotic bag from The Row on sale doesn’t get your attention, I don’t know what will. The color is chic year-round and will transition seamlessly into fall and all the way through winter. For $2,199, from $5,500.
5. Lanvin North/South Minaudière:A novelty item is perfectly justified when it’s on sale. Suffice it to say, this won’t be the most functional bag you’ll ever own, but it is likely to be the most talked about! For $939, from $2,345.