I’m in New York City for a few days, and every time I pack for trips, I can’t help but think of better, more efficient ways to travel. Meaning, better, more efficient luggage. Not to brag or anything, but I’m pretty obsessed when it comes to smart suitcases and beyond. This isn’t about traveling “in style,” per se. It’s about traveling with as little stress and mess as humanly possible.
1. Tumi Alpha Bravo Lemore Wheeled Backpack: Is it a backpack or is it a trolley? Either way this surprisingly attractive piece (in that relaxed, rugged sort of way) is carry-on safe and highly durable. Multiple pockets, including ones for shoes and a water bottle sweeten the deal. On Nordstrom for $369, from $495.
2. Genius Packer 22” Carry On + Portable Mobile Charger: Here’s a rare case where the word “genius” is an understatement. This new, ridiculously innovative update will be available again later this summer. Wait for it! At Genius Pack for $224 (from $336).
3. Genius Pack New & Enhanced Carry On: Now for the original…This is pretty much the most well-thought-out suitcase ever made. It was obviously designed by a travel pro. My favorite feature is the laundry shoot. I usually use my empty suitcase as my hamper but then when I pack again, I’m not sure what to do with all the dirty clothes. This one comes with a compactor (who cares if it’s wrinkled – it’s dirty laundry!) and the pouch conveniently pulls out, to take straight to the cleaners and right to the laundry room.
For all of us who are digitally dependent, there is an optional battery pouch you can purchase that lives in the front pocket. You can charge and go, right from your luggage: How amazing is that?! No need to fight for an outlet at the gate! And the interior has all kinds of nooks and crannies, pockets and pouches for everything you need, all perfectly organized. At Genius Pack for $218, from $318.
4. Lipault Paris Trolley: I’ve covered this before, but it’s so good, it’s worth mentioning again here. It is so compact and lightweight, when it’s not in use, it’s designed to be vacuum-sealed in a PVC pouch and takes up no space at all. Plus, it is on sale now! Tip: Always opt for luggage in a bright color to distinguish yours from the sea of black. On Flight 001 for $140, from $190.
5. Anya Hindmarch Jewellery Patent Leather-Trimmed Case: Forget about jewel rolls that barely fit what you need for the day. This case is big enough to hold extra large statement jewels, and will keep you accessorized for even the most extended vacations. It’s also perfect for at-home storage. I have most of my jewelry displayed in a larger case, but there’s still overflow and this is the perfect solution! On NET-A-PORTER for $350.
6. Briggs & Riley 24” Expandable Upright Suitcase: This simple piece of luggage is perfect for Snobs who have precious clothes they can’t bear to see wrinkled once they settle into their hotels. Nylon garment-securing panels and a smart hanging system help your clothes keep their mojo. At Briggs & Riley for $399.