Who’s excited for a new year of fabulous bags? For this special post, we went to a winter ice wonderland. The magic of ice is as fleeting as life itself, as its beauty lasts only as long as it remains freezing cold outside. The healing powers of ice have long been sought after by mankind, most recently for their ability to preserve youth (cryo spas are the rage right now, as standing in extreme-cold conditions for a certain amount of time is said to stimulate circulation and promote healthy skin cells).
Speaking of ice, by the way, I HAVE NEVER BEEN SO COLD IN MY LIFE! Posing for photos in minus 10° F/23.33° C in a thin but very pretty Spring 2016 coat and tulle skirt by LA Boutique probably made for the most extreme situation I have ever committed to for a photo shoot. But it was well worth the photos we’re sharing with you!
What makes the ICE! Exhibit at Gaylord in Grapevine, Texas, so special is not merely the two million pounds of ice used to create it, but the fact that the 40 ice artisan craftsmen who create it are from Harbin, China. This band of master carvers fly to the U.S. from China and spend nearly a month every year, taking shifts inside a 9° freezer to transform two million pounds of ice into a breathtaking winter wonderland. Sound extreme? It is. But to them, it feels much like home!
Don’t forget to download Vogue Mini in the app store to get the full story and keep up with my weekly column, Bag Chat with Tina!
1. Prada Python Eyes Inside Bag: How cute is this elf on a shelf clutching Prada’s eye-catching Inside bag, inspired by the Spring ’16 men’s runway show? At Neiman Marcus for $5,850.
2. Saint Laurent Sac de Jour Mini Prairie Tote Bag: Topped with bright mini floral bouquets, Saint Laurent’s teeny Sac De Jour will heat up any outfit. At Neiman Marcus for $2,250.
3. 3.1 Phillip Lim Soleil Small Drawstring Bucket Bag: Just as cool as ice, this graphic black and white tote from Phillip Lim is a perfect neutral. At Neiman Marcus for $925.
4. Tory Burch Robinson Fret-Patchwork Tote Bag: I love the bold, graphic patchwork on this perfect daily tote, which will look equally good in the summer heat as it does in the winter snow. At Neiman Marcus for $695.
5. Fendi DotCom Blue Leather Handbag: What’s cooler than Fendi? The Dotcom bag is what you look for in your everyday bag. Actually, it might very well be the most pragmatic of all the Fendi pieces – which isn’t a bad thing. This is understated luxury you never tire of seeing. It’s also a piece you’ll pull out year after year, never questioning your sanity (or lack thereof) for making such a purchase. I love this shade of cool, serene blue, another Pantone color of 2016. At Fendi for $2,400.
6. Judith Leiber Couture Peppermint Candy Crystal Clutch Bag: My mouth waters when I look at Judith Leiber’s Peppermint Candy bag! It brings literal meaning to the term arm candy. At Neiman Marcus for $4,995.
7. Valentino Multicolor Native Couture 1975 Small Clutch: This is the perfect pastel rainbow from Valentino, in the hottest shades of the season! On lyst for $1,895.
All Bags: Neiman Marcus
Photo Credits: Scot and Kristi Redman
Assistant: Sierra Maynes