It feels great to strike out at night with a flashy clutch; it’s that extra sparkle (literally and figuratively) that makes you feel special – and like a special night is in store. But make sure your awe-inspiring accessory is tasteful. There’s good embellishment like these five, and then there’s the bad, like this little monstrosity.
Clutches can be heavy on the beads, crystals, embroidery, and all-around opulence, but if they’re not executed with elegance, then tacky tends to be the word. No matter how much Marchesa or McQueen adorn their minaudières, you know the result is going to be good. The others of the bunch are a bit iffy, but taking a fashion risk is the fun kind of risk to take.
1. Dolce & Gabbana Ava Crystal-Embellished Satin and Lace Box Clutch: Hello, Rococo! Or is it Baroque? Whatever the era, Dolce nails this crystal-and-lace extravaganza. On NET-A-PORTER for $3,800.
2. Marchesa Lily Embellished Mesh Box Clutch: In the mood for a cool white night? Marchesa brings the ice with their glittering cocktail of crystals and beads, topped with their signature quartz closure. On NET-A-PORTER for $3,640.
3. Alexander McQueen Twin Skull Embellished-Satin Clutch: McQueen’s heavily beaded creation is so beautifully excessive, you barely even notice the trademark element of skulls. At MATCHESFASHION.COM for $3,127.
4. Thalè Blanc Limited-Edition Bianca Perspex Clutch: When it comes to melding fierce jungle animal motifs, a sense of fun, and total sophistication, Thalè Blanc is unsurpassed. This studded number is a serious standout. At Luisa via Roma for $1,200.
5. Marni Crystal-Embroidered Wristlet Pochette: Count on Marni to embrace unadulterated whimsy. Chunky crystals over washed lambskin speaks of feminine juxtapositions. At Bergdorf Goodman for $900.