I always find it intriguing to see the inclusion of wood on a bag, and in this case, more than just a touch does the trick. In fact, more is better. But in order for an all-over wooden bag to look runway chic, rather than something you picked up at the Yosemite National Park gift shop, it takes a true designer’s eye. One with an artistic edge that can elevate raw materials into a whimsical realm. With unique details and a sophisticated nod to nature, these five have it right:
1. Rauwolf Brutalist Clutch: With abalone green wood-grain plexiglass and a jewel-inspired closure, this satin-lined piece is a treasure that’s sure to mesmerize. On Farfetch for $3,522.
2. Tesler + Mendelovitch Wearable Wood Clutch: This bag is made completely from ebony wood, a tree that can take over a century to fully form. This handmade clutch by Israel design duo Tesler + Mendelovitch didn’t take quite as long, but it looks like the detailed construction could have. On Not Just a Label for $681.
3. Alexander McQueen Britannia Wooden Skull Box Clutch: Here’s the update McQueen’s trademark Union Jack motif needed, refreshingly simple and perfectly offbeat. Available for preorder at Neiman Marcus for $2,455 (expect shipping by October 22nd).
4. Lanvin Stone Wood Box Clutch: Rigid wooden panels make the perfect frame for clutch of natural stone tiles. Think organic materials meets jet-set glamour, a genius marriage. On Farfetch for $2,650.
5. Stella McCartney Faux-Napa and Wood Clutch Bag: Trust Stella to show restraint when it comes to her materials, and this refined mix of simulated nappa leather and beautifully streaked wood is no exception. At Neiman Marcus for $839 (from $1,865).