In the words of Wiz Khalifa, “Yeah, uh huh, you what it is.” While he’s referring to the combination of black and yellow, I say close enough! Black and gold is what’s up. There’s just something about this eternally cool, classy combination that feels right for ringing in the New Year. There’s plenty to choose from out there; here are my favorites that you can wear past the stroke of midnight and well into 2015.
1. Marni Suede and Metallic Leather Sandals: Up the drama – and not the melodrama – on New Year’s with a pair of perfectly theatrical shoes. Marni’s shining orchid embellishment and leaning heel will set you apart from the rest. On NET-A-PORTER for $940.
2. Etro Silk-Blend Crepe Trousers: Forgo the expected route of the cocktail dress for a modern pair of evening trousers. Etro’s are at once cropped, cool, and thoroughly festive. On My Theresa for $1,500.
3. Alice + Olivia Pacey Jacquard Dress: Then again, a celebratory dress is always tempting. This jacquard motif on an A-line silhouette feels particularly spot-on for a party. On My Theresa for $550.
4. Marc Jacobs Embellished Patent-Leather Mini Skirt: Shake it up, à la the swinging-sixties mods, with a flirty, little crystal embellished mini-skirt. Then wear it with a plain white tee for a more casual occasion. On NET-A-PORTER for $1,800.
5. Halston Heritage Chain Box Minaudière: I love this juxtaposition of smooth black leather and chunky gold chains for a nighttime clutch that speaks of Studio 54-worthy decadence. On Shopbop for $345.
6. Christian Louboutin Apollo 100mm Eyelet-Embellished Suede Boots (on MATCHESFASHION.com for $3,545)
7. Diane von Furstenberg Dolores Dress (on MATCHESFASHION.com for $528)
8. Alexander McQueen Skull Knuckle Embellished Box Clutch with Leather (on My Theresa for $2,840)