Those with weak ankles, rejoice! And pretty much all of us can enjoy a break from sky-high stilettos. Because it’s all about the chunky heel right now. When working a heel with some heft, it’s important the shoe have some feminine details. Otherwise, the look gets trashy way too quickly. Add a platform to a substantial heel, and you get maximum altitude and attitude. But remember, your heels don’t have to be ultra-high; takes by Proenza Schouler and Balenciaga reveal a gentler way to enjoy this trend.
1. Stella McCartney Crystal-Embellished Satin Pumps: Stella can make anything look covetable and cool, including the classic satin pump, thanks to her wooden heel sprinkled with sparkle. Available on NET-A-PORTER UK for £595 (metallic magenta faux-leather version available on NET-A-PORTER US for $730).
2. Dolce & Gabbana Sacred Heart Brocade T-Strap Pumps: With an almond-shaped toe and crazy-elaborate detailing, these quintessentially Dolce pumps are as dainty as they are statement-making. On Luisa via Roma for $3,995.
3. Marni Metal-Trimmed Suede Mary Jane Pumps: Marni goes Art Deco-chic with this surprisingly delicate pair of angular Mary Janes. On NET-A-PORTER for $760.
4. and 6. Tom Ford Leopard-Print Calf-Hair Platform Sandals and Leather Platform Ankle-Strap Pumps: Tom Ford makes the switch from slinky stilettos to chunky heels this season, and he is not shy about how exaggerated he’s willing to go. These might be the most sensible shoes from him ever! Sandals, $1490, and pumps, $1,290, both available at Neiman Marcus.
5. Giuseppe Zanotti Studded Sandals: Giuseppe struts his stuff here, showing he can make ultra-heavy hardware and an equally heavy heel look light and appealing. On thecorner.com for $950.
7. Proenza Schouler Layered Fringe Mules: Futuristic and architectural, Proenza proves you can ease into a mule and still sport a seriously bold look. Available for pre-order at Barneys New York for $1,095 (expect delivery in March).
8. Balenciaga Pierce Chunky-Heel Sandals: The heel may be strong, but everything is easy and breezy about this wear-all-day sandal. At Barneys New York for $895.
9. Nicholas Kirkwood Suede & Cork Platform Sandals: Kirkwood’s now-trademark pearl, nestled in the crevice of a mighty cork platform, will have everyone transfixed by your feet. At Barneys New York for $795.